Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Cluster Limit

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:00 PM

Currently I have 52 IAP 104's and 5 IAP 135's in a single cluster running 6.3.1.2-4.0.0.3  and tried adding 9 more to it today.  Unfortunately this did not work around  and my cluster died, lost its VC or crashed, still trying to figure out what happened exactly. I lost connectivity around 59 AP's.  

My question is what is the limit of AP's I can put in a single cluster?  Also I have read that if I were to make one of the 135's the master it may handle this a little better?  Can you assign a 135 to be a preferred master?

#AP135

• 2.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:09 PM

There is something wrong... you should open a support ticket

There is no limit on the cluster size...

And yes its recommended that you put a AP 135 as Master of the cluster...

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:10 PM

Correction; see below.

• 4.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:15 PM

Really Clembo?

Marcus told me that there was no limit... or at least thats what i understood... the only AP that got a hard liimit is the AP93

You can elect the master or have preference with the preference enable here:

preferred.png

• 5.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:24 PM

Not sure if work load takes into account but the cluster averages 400-600 users a day.  When I added the additional AP's the user count was around 510.

• 6.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:26 PM

Well as far i know the suggested limit is up to 2000, the thing is that is not a hard limit... but is recommeded not going beyond that...

I remenber i also read a post of marcus which said it was unlimited, im searching for it.

Cheers

Carlos

• 7.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:29 PM

I am verifying this Carlos.   I always thought the same, but came across a doc that says otherwise.  I am confirming.   The article I am referring to can be seen on AFP:  https://afp.arubanetworks.com/afp/index.php/IAP-105#Limited_Scale.2C_Single-site_WLAN

• 8.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:32 PM

Hello Chris!

As far i remenber before he would tell me that the suggested limit was 64.  But then with the new firwmares the suggested limit was a bigger than that...

Thanks for the document!

Cheers

Carlos

• 9.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:37 PM

Yes, seems the information in that linked document is outdated/incorrect.    In fact, a fellow SE shared info on their 180 IAP-105 cluster at a hotel in Turkey.

• 10.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:39 PM

180!

thats a lot :)

I guess then there must be something wrong and he should open a support case with the TAC....

The cluster should have never crashed... unless its a bug or something?

Cheeers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:58 PM

I have since created a second cluster just so I can provide connectivity to another area.  I think I will try the following tomorrow.

1. Set preferred master to a 135 in original cluster.

2. Clear the config in the temporary second cluster.

3. Move the ports for the second cluster to the original cluster vlan.

Question, if I clear the config under Maintenance what does that exactly do to the AP's in that cluster?  Set them back to instant SSID?

• 12.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:59 PM

Yep it suppose to do that...it will bring it to factory default.

Cheers

Carlos

• 13.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:53 PM

Does anyone have confirmation that I will be fine with this cluster size?

In the end I will have 57 IAP 104's and 16 IAP 135's all in the same cluster.  I just want to confirm before I add any additional, I cannot have it go down like it did yesterday.

Thanks

Brandon

• 14.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:56 PM

Well i would open a support case with that to see why this happened...

Thats not a normal behavior, you even saw that Chris said that there was a client which got 180 IAP 105 in a turkey hotel...

Cheers

Carlos

• 15.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 19, 2014 03:11 PM

I will call TAC.  Thanks to everyone for their input.

• 16.  RE: IAP Cluster Limit

Posted Mar 19, 2014 03:12 PM

Good Luck!