Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Clusters deployment suggestions

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP Clusters deployment suggestions

Posted Mar 19, 2014 01:57 PM

Hi,

I am planning to deploy  200+ IAPs , there are 20 buildings with manageable switches and separate vlan for each building.

What are your views on how to deploy these IAPs.

Only interenet will be the usage.

20 different clusters ( per building cluster) with Airwave or if  I consider reducing the clusters I need to do add extra vlan per cluster per switch and it may increase broadcast

- Harshad

• 2.  RE: IAP Clusters deployment suggestions
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2014 07:13 PM

If you want to reduce the clusters, then I would create an "AP MGMT" VLAN that would span the buildings you wish to cluster together.  Perhaps break it up by logical or physical groups that are close to each other?  

This new VLAN would be the management VLAN where the APs are connected and OTHER VLANs would carry WLAN user traffic.  This is a best practice in larger IAP clusters.

If you do not wish to do that, then Airwave is a logical choice either way.  That can manage all clusters from a single UI.

• 3.  RE: IAP Clusters deployment suggestions

Posted Mar 20, 2014 01:08 AM

I have one more doubt ..

e.g. I am making a cluster for five buildings

Building ------------- 1  2  3  4  5

Respective Vlans -1  2  3  4  5   

management vlan - 10

Here I have to add Vlan 10 in each buiding's switching environment . AP should be on trunk port . Vlan 10 is not required to be a native vlan .  and for  SSID Client vlan assignment  it should be default . for building 1 clients will get IP from vlna 1 and for Buiding 2 from vlan 2... Is it correct ??

• 4.  RE: IAP Clusters deployment suggestions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2014 11:00 AM

The user VLAN can be mapped to different local only subnets in EACH building.  We won't care about that.  So vlans 1,2,3,4,5 correfspond to subnets a,b,c,d,e in building 1 and in building 2 vlans 1,2,3,4,5 correspond to subnets f,g,h,i,j.

For management, the VLAN 10 should be the native for ease of deployment in BOTH buildings and VLAN 10 be trunked/tagged between switches and these 2 buildings.

In the SSID, VLANs 1-5 can be assigned to the VLANs.  NOT default but a static VLAN(s).  

The default setting will place users on the mgmt vlan 10 which is not what you want