Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP DHCP relay

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP DHCP relay

Posted Jun 04, 2014 05:45 AM

Is it possible to configure a DHCP relay address on the instant. I would like users at small branch sites with IAPs to pick up an IP address from a local DHCP server. In addition there is a requirement to forward the DHCP messages to a centralised ClearPass for profiling. Is it possible to configure this on the Instant?.

• 2.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2014 08:34 AM

Try this:

(Instant Access Point)(config)# ip dhcp <profile-name>
    (Instant Access Point)(DHCP Profile <profile-name>)# server-type <centralized>
    (Instant Access Point)(DHCP Profile <profile-name>)# server-vlan <vlan-ID>
    (Instant Access Point)(DHCP Profile <profile-name>)# dhcp-relay
    (Instant Access Point)(DHCP Profile <profile-name>)# dhcp-server <DHCP-relay-server>
    (Instant Access Point)(DHCP Profile <profile-name>)# vlan-ip <DHCP IP address> mask <VLAN mask>
    (Instant Access Point)(DHCP Profile <profile-name>)# end

• 3.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2014 10:13 AM

Is the client's gateway the Virtual Controller or the upstream router in the LAN?

• 4.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

Posted Jun 04, 2014 10:41 AM

The client DG is a local address to the branch site probably the same device that issues the DHCP address. Clearpass at the core.

• 5.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2014 02:06 PM

At the device that's the client's gateway, can you configure a helper address to Clearpass?

• 6.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

Posted Jun 05, 2014 03:35 AM

I have a VPN tunnel configured, will this send the relay down the VPN?. This is what I dont want to happen as the tunnel is only for guest traffic. The relay is needed for corporate BYOD profiling. I cannot set the relay on another device - this is the basis for the original question.

• 7.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2014 11:21 AM
    If there is no vlan specified, the client's traffic will be sent out of the controller untagged

• 8.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

Posted Jun 06, 2014 09:11 AM

Sorry, the original question was can I configure a DHCP relay on the Instant AP?

• 9.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2014 09:12 AM

In distributed L3 mode, yes. See the config I posted in post #2.

• 10.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

Posted Jun 06, 2014 09:59 AM

When I configure these centralised DHCP scopes, it looks like the traffic will go down the VPN, is this correct?

• 11.  RE: IAP DHCP relay

Posted Jul 11, 2014 03:21 AM

Still looking for a definite answer on this subject?