Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

Posted Nov 28, 2013 12:15 PM

For some reason I am able to get this to work but wanted to see if this is even possible :

Comcast router ----------> IAP 135 (Mesh Portal)   -- -- -- -- Mesh Link (not working)-- -- -- --  IAP 135 (Mesh Point) 

- The mesh portal is getting public IP address from the comcast router , this is the master IP address

- Create a local DHCP pool and assign VLAN 2

- Assign an IP address to the Virtual controller from VLAN 2  

Is not able to create the mesh link but if I create port profile with VLAN2 and connect the mesh point directly to port 0/1 on the mesh portal then it works 

Am i missing something ?

With this setup then it works :

Comcast router --------> Linsys switch -------> IAP 135 (Mesh portal)  -- -- -- Mesh Link (works)-- -- -- IAP 135 (Mesh point)

The only difference between this scenario and the other is that master IP is the same as the virtual IP 

#AP135

• 2.  RE: IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

Posted Nov 28, 2013 01:39 PM

Hi Victor,

Have you set the IAP VC to recognise VLAN2 as the management VLAN? By default IAPs recognise the native VLAN as being management. If you want to force this to VLAN2, then set this up in System>Advanced>Virtual Controller VLAN.

IAP-mgmt-vlan.JPG

Regards

skyhigh

• 3.  RE: IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

Posted Nov 28, 2013 01:57 PM

Thanks Skyhigh,

I added that VLAN but for some reason the mesh link doesn't want to work , it definitely works on wired using this setup.

• 4.  RE: IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

Posted Nov 28, 2013 02:04 PM

Hi Victor,

Is it that you want the comcast link to be your internet uplink, and this sets a public IP on your VC IAP?

Do you have to have the IAP on a public address?

If the comcast has NAT and DHCP function, I would recommend allowing the IAPs to take a private address. In this way, you can have both IAPs in the same VLAN. The mesh point establishes a connection by detecting that there is no active wired interface. It will then try to mesh ( I am guessing you're in the USA, so your hardware is locked to US country domain per FCC rules, so it will do this out of the box, rest of the world equipment has to have a wired connection on first setup to set country code). 

The mesh occurs across a hidden PSK SSID that uses hashes of the IAP parameters as the key.

The Mesh Point needs to get an IP address from somewhere. It will do this from the native VLAN of the VC IAP, which per my suggestion coudl be the internal IP range of the comcast router.

Does that make sense?

regards

skyhigh

• 5.  RE: IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

Posted Nov 30, 2013 09:04 AM

My comcast router doesnt have that functionality , i guess i going to probably need another switch in front of the IAP with that capability which is what I had previously but I wanted to remove it from the setup but maybe is not possible ?

• 6.  RE: IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

Posted Oct 16, 2014 04:58 AM

Good Day Victor, can you find solution from this post, we also interesting to get similar solution to work but we have problem like this.

Scenario 1 work:

ISP ---(vlan 6 native)----  |eth0|- RAP155-|eth1|----(wired Vlan 2)----|eth0|-AP103 

Vlan 2(DHCP)

But then i try deploy AP103 with mesh link and point does,t appear in Instant GUI, but the point get IP from internal dhcp server from RAP155 in vlan 2, i can ping this AP and connet to AP through SSH but this mesh link does not work. 

Scenario 2 not work:

ISP ---(vlan 6 native)----  |eth0|- RAP155-|eth1|----(mesh not work)----|eth0|-AP103 

Vlan 2(DHCP)

Of cause Mesh link work if AP103 get IP address from external DHCP pool in native vlan from uplink. To force AP103 get ip from internal DHCP i change Uplink Vlan in AP103 to Vlan 2.

Can you provide some information to this scenario. Main goal that AP103 get IP address from internal DHCP vlan 2 and mesh work.

Is it possible?

Thank you in advnce.

• 7.  RE: IAP Mesh Setup with Master using different IP address

Posted Oct 16, 2014 10:05 PM
    As of today it still works that way that if it doesn't get an ip from an external source it won't build the mesh link unfortunately .

We probably need to submit an RFE for this