Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Staric IP Address

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP Staric IP Address

Posted Dec 11, 2017 10:20 AM

Hi I am new to Aruba IAP setup, I will be setting up one of these and had a couple of questions.

Should I setup a virtual controller Static IP address, can the IP be a reserved one on the same vlan as the vlan AP's connect to.

Do I tell one AP it is master or is it shared across all AP's.

When other Ap's join the IAP do they do this by wireless or wired.  So do Ap's need to be close enough.

Is there any license that needs to be applied

Thanks for the replies

• 2.  RE: IAP Staric IP Address

Posted Dec 11, 2017 11:49 AM

Should I setup a virtual controller Static IP address, can the IP be a reserved one on the same vlan as the vlan AP's connect to.

Melvin : you may set a VC ip address and it will be the one ip address which will be used, even if the controller goes down and a secondary master takes over, you will be able to access through the VC ip address.

Do I tell one AP it is master or is it shared across all AP's.

Melvin , if you require IAPS to work via mesh mode, you will need to provision it via wired first.
    By its nature, its will probe the network to source for an available master via wired.

When other Ap's join the IAP do they do this by wireless or wired.  So do Ap's need to be close enough.

Melvin : For IAP's as of current licenses, what you purchase is what u get, no additional licenses required.

Is there any license that needs to be applied

• 3.  RE: IAP Staric IP Address

Posted Dec 11, 2017 12:11 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Melvin, thanks for the reply.  The virtual controller static IP can it be in the same subnet as the one the AP"s ip address.

There is no hard set that an AP is the master?

Do the AP's work out their channel and power settings on their own.  I see under RF, access point control that thee is power settings that can be edited, I only have one up so just wondering if that is why it is set to max I attached a secrren shot

• 4.  RE: IAP Staric IP Address

Posted Dec 11, 2017 10:57 PM

The access point with the longest uptime will be the master AP.

• 5.  RE: IAP Staric IP Address

Posted Dec 11, 2017 11:05 PM

OK thanks, So I have one AP offsite that I will be configuring and shipping back to the site, the other AP's are getting installed and will be up longer.  This wont be an issue? 

• 6.  RE: IAP Staric IP Address

Posted Dec 12, 2017 04:36 AM

Do you have a SDWAN product which allow both site to have a L2 link?

Instant series was meant to be for on premises deployment, if you are intending to have a centralize point of management and monitoring, you may require airwave.

• 7.  RE: IAP Staric IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 09:53 AM

You shouldn't have to do any configuration on the offsite AP as when it joins the cluster it will download the configuration from the cluster. However, adding the AP to the existing clusters is no issue. You can set a specific AP to be the prefered master if you want but it isn't required. Also, the static VC IP address does have to be on the same subnet as the AP's. 

Hope that helps. 

Jerald