Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP VC scalability

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP VC scalability

Posted May 16, 2013 07:00 AM

Hi,

For a network having 80 IAP do we need to configure mutiple ip subnets to accomodate every 64 IAP cluster? Do we need a L3 switch for routing among the different subnets

• 2.  RE: IAP VC scalability

Posted May 16, 2013 08:38 AM

Hello

As you know is not recommeded going beyond 64 IAP in a cluster

For 80 IAP

I would create 2 Clusters of 40 IAPS

Each cluster would have their own vlan,  so they can autojoin

Then you would need to configure the L3 roaming so when someone is walking and goes from a cluster to another they get a seemless communication i mean no interruption or reatuthentication etc..

Yes you need a L3 Switch

As far i know when a cluster is communicating to the other he does a tunnel between both... i mean they will need to communicate via layer 3 :)

If you dont have a L3 Switch or its really expensive for you to afford it... well mmm you could use the firewall you got maybe it has routing capacibilites... but i would recommend you get a Layer 3 switch.

Answering your specific quetions yes you need L3 switch to route betweent networks.. :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: IAP VC scalability

Posted May 16, 2013 02:28 PM

In a recent technical pow-wow -- heading in to designing a new warehouse. Aruba SE stated that the new maximum number of IAP in a swarm is changing upwards again, Shortly the number will be 128 (if it isn't already) so check with your engineering support and see if your growth will fit under the rising bar.

• 4.  RE: IAP VC scalability

Posted May 16, 2013 11:54 PM

Yep Marcus told me that but he didnt tell me which were the new recommended limit.

Marcus you around? :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: IAP VC scalability

Posted May 17, 2013 12:46 AM

New scaling numbers are being tested but nothing is confirmed at this time.  Stay tuned......

• 6.  RE: IAP VC scalability

Posted May 17, 2013 12:49 AM

hehe thanks for replying Marcus!!!!! :)

• 7.  RE: IAP VC scalability

Posted May 17, 2013 11:28 AM

I'll have to track me SE and his support team down then. 

We're basing our purchase of a controller (or rather considering not) on the advice from that call!