Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

IAP VC scalability

Hi,

For a network having 80 IAP do we need to configure mutiple ip subnets to accomodate every 64 IAP cluster? Do we need a L3 switch for routing among the different subnets

Re: IAP VC scalability

Hello

As you know is not recommeded going beyond 64 IAP in a cluster

For 80 IAP

I would create 2 Clusters of 40 IAPS

Each cluster would have their own vlan,  so they can autojoin

Then you would need to configure the L3 roaming so when someone is walking and goes from a cluster to another they get a seemless communication i mean no interruption or reatuthentication etc..

Yes you need a L3 Switch

As far i know when a cluster is communicating to the other he does a tunnel between both... i mean they will need to communicate via layer 3 :)

If you dont have a L3 Switch or its really expensive for you to afford it... well mmm you could use the firewall you got maybe it has routing capacibilites... but i would recommend you get a Layer 3 switch.

Answering your specific quetions yes you need L3 switch to route betweent networks.. :)

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
MVP

In a recent technical pow-wow -- heading in to designing a new warehouse. Aruba SE stated that the new maximum number of IAP in a swarm is changing upwards again, Shortly the number will be 128 (if it isn't already) so check with your engineering support and see if your growth will fit under the rising bar.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it

Yep Marcus told me that but he didnt tell me which were the new recommended limit.

Marcus you around? :)

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp

New scaling numbers are being tested but nothing is confirmed at this time.  Stay tuned......

hehe thanks for replying Marcus!!!!! :)

Alternetworks Corp
MVP

I'll have to track me SE and his support team down then. 

We're basing our purchase of a controller (or rather considering not) on the advice from that call!

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: