Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Virtual Controller DNS?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  IAP Virtual Controller DNS?

Posted Mar 23, 2018 07:11 PM

Hi experts,

I have always configured a VC IP in my Instant clusters, but I have never configured a VC DNS. What is the purpose of this? I have read the following:

"If the Virtual Controller IP is in a different subnet, configure the Virtual Controller mask, gateway, and VLAN"

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/virtual_controller/Virtual_Controller_IP_Ad.htm

It doesn't say anything about the VC DNS. Then, in my case where the VC IP are in the same subnet, do I need to configure the VC DNS?

Also I have found the Aruba Instant User Guide says the following:

"If the virtual controller IP address is in the same subnet as the Instant AP, ensure that you select Custom from the Virtual Controller network
    settings drop-down list and configure the following details: Virtual Controller Netmask, Virtual Controller Gateway, Virtual Controller DNS, Virtual Controller VLAN"

That's the opposite of the first excerpt I wrote above:

"If the Virtual Controller IP is in a different subnet, configure the Virtual Controller mask, gateway, and VLAN"

Am I missing anything?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller DNS?

Posted Mar 26, 2018 03:24 PM

Hi guys,

Any idea?

Regards,

Julián

• 3.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller DNS?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:24 PM

You should not need it.  the VC gets DNS from DHCP.  You would only configure DNS if you were manually setting ip address information.

• 4.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller DNS?

Posted Mar 27, 2018 09:53 AM
    Hi Colin,

But in many cases I set the DNS IP along with the static IP in every IAP. In this cases if I set that DNS IP in the VC DNS field and leave blank the DNS field in every IAP, will all the IAPs get VC DNS address?

Regards,
    Julián