Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Virtual Controller VLAN Setting

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  IAP Virtual Controller VLAN Setting

Posted Nov 05, 2013 06:20 PM

So I have noticed a few setting under the IAP "System", "Advanced Settings" that I though made sense but don't seem to do anything but actually make the AP stop responding.

What is the purpose of the "Virtual Controller VLAN" setting?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller VLAN Setting

Posted Nov 05, 2013 06:26 PM

You can configure the Vlan the IAP management traffic will run on.  When left at the default mgmt traffic will be on the native / untagged vlan. You might do this as  "Best-Practice" to separate mgmt traffic from user traffic.

• 3.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller VLAN Setting

Posted Nov 05, 2013 06:32 PM

Well, thats what I thought it would do.

We have a IAP connected to a trunk port with no native vlan statement. We were hoping that by assigning a value to the Virtual Controller VLAN field the AP would be accessed via the static ip assigned to it that is in the Virtual Controller VLAN but instead the AP becomes unreachable.

• 4.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller VLAN Setting

Posted Nov 05, 2013 07:10 PM

Ok, I think I figured it this out. The Virtual Controller VLAN statement is to be used for accessing VC's from and external network versus just having the VC and AP on different internal, routed, networks.

• 5.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller VLAN Setting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2013 07:13 PM

Most switch configurations will have a default native vlan of 1 unless otherwise set. There may also be an option to disallow untagged traffic on a trunk port, but based on your description I don't believe this to be the case.

It sounds as though the current IP address associated with the Instant is valid for the default native VLAN. When you change that mgmt vlan on the IAP side, is the IP address still valid for the new vlan?