Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP broadcasting unconfigured hidden network

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  IAP broadcasting unconfigured hidden network

Posted Oct 08, 2015 11:52 PM

In my lab i have an IAP-225 which is running 4.2.0.1 EA code. While doing some scans i noticed that it is broadcasting a hidden SSID. I have not configured this.

The AP is managed by Airwave, and configured through the IGC.

Here is what i see over the air while scanning with airodump-ng

AC:A3:1E:AA:01:31  -48  45     3956        0    0  52  54e  WPA2 CCMP   PSK  <length: 0>                                                                                                                        
     AC:A3:1E:AA:01:32  -48  56     3938      955    2  52  54e  WPA2 CCMP   PSK  HelloWorld  

When i look at the radio in AMP i see that it does not show a hidden network

Active BSSIDs

BSSID SSID
    AC:A3:1E:AA:01:32HelloWorld

I have only two SSIDs configured in the IGC which is my HellowWorld SSID and another Guest on 2.4 ghz only. Show run on the AP show only 2 wlan ssid-profiles

Why is my access point sending out beacons for a hidden network? Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

-ELiasz

#ArubaBeacons
    #ALE
    #LocationServices
    #AP225

• 2.  RE: IAP broadcasting unconfigured hidden network
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2015 03:33 AM

Could that be the mesh ssid you're seeing?

• 3.  RE: IAP broadcasting unconfigured hidden network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2015 11:20 AM

Please try enabling the option 'Extended SSID' under System, Advanced options.

This option controls the automatic mesh option, that should only broadcast on 5GHz, to build a wirless mesh if AP's are not connected to the wired network. If IAPs have been in the same cluster, you can disconnect one AP from the network and just power it to build up a mesh link to the connected AP's.

If mesh is not used, turning on 'Extended SSID' allows to use the mesh SSID for another SSID.

Herman