Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP used as a survey or standalone network

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP used as a survey or standalone network

Posted Oct 11, 2012 12:48 PM

Would like to use the little power supply to just power up the IAP and have the IAP boot and bring up its radios.

seems that the IAP must have an ethernet connection before bringing up the radios..

have tried a loopback plug but aruba products don't bring up their ports with the sandard 1to3 2to6 4to7 5to8 pin out

any way around this ?

thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP used as a survey or standalone network

Posted Oct 11, 2012 01:08 PM

I use either of two methods depending on the situation.   

- If I'm doing iperf active survey with AirMagnet,  I carry a second laptop as a server and plug it directly into the AP.   works great, no switch required.

- carry a cheap little 5 port ethernet switch and plug that in with a very short jumper.

We are aware this is less than ideal if you're just doing passive surveys - although we don't recommend just passive surveys as they don't tell you much about how actual traffic is going to pass.  Instant used to require a DHCP server plus uplink.   It is now just uplink.

• 3.  RE: IAP used as a survey or standalone network

Posted Oct 15, 2012 08:45 PM

• 4.  RE: IAP used as a survey or standalone network

Posted Oct 15, 2012 09:01 PM

Nightshade,

That document does not apply to Instant APs.   It describes the procedure to use a remote PA for surveys.  This can still be done, but the procedure is out of date since we've had several major version releases of ArubaOS since that document was written.

IAPs are the easiest, simplest method of doing self-contained survey APs for active testing.

• 5.  RE: IAP used as a survey or standalone network

Posted Oct 15, 2012 09:05 PM

I already know that

But  he might be someone like me that was trying to use the instant for site survying...

I got access to controlller and many aps...

Maybe he has access to that...

I should have explained this is for non IAP... but if he has a controller he  can always turn that one in a normal AP.....

The manual says he needs a controller for that but well... its better a clarification here  so thanks

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: IAP used as a survey or standalone network

Posted Oct 01, 2015 11:59 AM

You can change the "Enforce Uplink" setting so when the IAP does not have an uplink it will still work.

GUI - System -> Show Advanced Options -> Uplink -> Under Management

-After IAP 3.3 I think it is spelled out "can be used without uplink"

CLI = "work-without-uplink" under the SSID Profile.

Ensure the AP is set to standalone mode: Maintenance -> Convert -> Standalone AP