Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Nov 17, 2011 10:17 AM

Hello all,

Someone tried to set up 2 internal captive portals with different texts in the IAP?

I got a captive issue. If I change the text of portal #1 the portal #2 got the same text.

Thanks,

Ed

• 2.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Nov 30, 2011 07:00 PM

IAP supports only one 'global' internal captive portal. 

• 3.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Dec 01, 2011 07:35 AM

Thanks Pradeep. Now we know that IAP supports only "global" internal captive portal and that internal captive portal always will shows a message certificate error, because the IAP not supports valid certificate to captive portal.

I would like to suggest these improvements.

Ed

• 4.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Dec 02, 2011 03:06 AM

Nice to know other people are experimenting with those IAP , CP's and Certs too, so i dont open a new thread.

regarding the really low information about certificates to upload to IAP , can some wildcard cert be uploaded to the IAP and the URL of the CP be changed ? i dont think so or ?

regards

ben

• 5.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Dec 02, 2011 06:45 PM

Right now, the internal captive portals on the IAP only use a fixed, self-signed certificate, and cannot be modified.

• 6.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Dec 02, 2011 06:52 PM

The IAP does support an external splash page option if you need to have independent captive portal pages hosted on an external server. This can be integrated for client authentication via RADIUS or a simple returned authentication string.

• 7.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Dec 05, 2011 03:16 AM

@cam : >>This can be integrated for client authentication via RADIUS or a simple returned authentication string.

could you give here more details, the customer's plan is here to have guest-ssid , ppl are connecting, getting the cp page using the wildcard cert. if the cp can be hosted externally outside the controller, how/where to set this re-direct url ?

is it some option to set in the IAP regarding external splash page? or is this only working for corp access via radius and not for internal guest in controller's db ?

sorry , please clearify, thanks!

• 8.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Dec 06, 2011 12:10 AM

Can I confirm the requirement:  do you want the captive portal page to be served over HTTPS using a certificate that would not generate any certificate warning messages?

• 9.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Dec 08, 2011 08:36 PM

bg,

On the Instant AP you can configure the redirect URL under the Guest SSID configuration. The is an option to configure an external splash page and this can be set to use RADIUS as its authentication source. An example of a one box solution that supports both the hosting of the captive portal and inbuilt RADIUS server is the Amigopod solution.

Let me know if that clarifies the configuration for you.

Cam.

• 10.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Jan 30, 2012 03:39 PM

How about a method so the IAPs truly do work out of the box?

The product is advertised as working without IT support.  I think it even says it can be configured faster than a cup of coffee... or something like that.

Last I checked, establishing a radius server requires IT support.

Can you simply configure the internal splash page to not be a secure page?  You aren't really collecting information, despite having the user enter their email address... it's not being collected anywhere.

Or, how about detailed KB instructions on how to create / upload a certificate for the guest captive portal?

(Yes, I'm beating a dead horse... been asking for this since we bought them.  It's the difference between a decent product and a product I would rave about.)

• 11.  RE: IAP with 2 internal Captive Portals

Posted Jan 30, 2012 04:02 PM

Hi Chris,

I apologize in that you may have run into issues with Instant. Please email me and I can definitely try to provide you with any additional information that you require.

Shashi Sastry : ssastry@arubanetworks.com

We are also in the process of writing up additional support documentation - I can provide that to you as well.

thanks,

Shashi