Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

IAP335 6.5.0 - IAP not getting DHCP

Strange issue here. My IAP335 running 6.5.0 is unable to obtain a DHCP address for itself. This is after factory-reset.

Everything else in the network is working correctly: other devices do get DHCP from this switch port and this DHCP server. Same result when connected to a different switch and different DHCP server.

When booting, the IAP does make requests, but eventually just gives itself an APIPA address.

A wireless client connecting to the "instant" SSID can get DHCP from the IAP local DHCP server but cannot get redirected to the IAP login page. I assume that this is a symptom of the DHCP problem. The client cannot ping or browse manually to the IP login page. I can only reach the IAP via console.

Now the really strange part: In apboot> mode, when typing the command "dhcp" the IAP gets a valid DHCP response immediately - exactly as you would expect, and can ping the gateway and beyond. In apboot> mode, when setting a static IP, I can ping to the gateway and beyond. But as soon as I proceed to boot the full OS, the IAP will not get DHCP. If static IP is defined in apboot> mode then the static address is maintained when proceeding to full boot, but network connectivity is gone i.e cannot reach gateway.

I think it might be a firmware bug but I can't figure out the syntax to ugrade the OS over FTP from the apboot>upgrade command.

APBoot 1.5.4.9 (build 56559)
Built: 2016-09-22 at 14:01:59

[ 0.000000] ArubaOS Version 6.5.0.0-4.3.0.0 (build 56428 / label #56428)

Guru Elite

Re: IAP335 6.5.0 - IAP not getting DHCP

Did it work before?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Yes it has worked before.Thinking about anything different since it stopped working and...I have figured out the cause!

This issue occurs when connecting the AP by it's ENET1 port. I moved the connection to the ENET0 port and everything has gone back to working normally.

Whether this is a bug, or user error, is for Aruba to decide.

Since ENET0 and ENET1 can be configured as LAG, and no error/information messages were displayed at bootup, and ENET1 works correctly as DHCP client in apboot> mode, I the user have assumed that either port can be used as the uplink. 

Guru Elite

How are you powering that access point?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base