Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor I

Instant AP auto detecting Aruba-Master

Good day fellow Airheads.

The question may have been asked before, so please redirect me to the right thread if I'm not the first.

My client has a network made up of Large and small sites and we use Mobilty controllers on the lager sites and iAP clusters on smaller sites (<9 Access points).

We have now started buying iAP315's to deploy as iAP clusters, but as soon as we upgrade the device to a newer firmware (we must to get our country code - ZA) the instant devices resolves Aruba-master on our network and connects to the master controller. We do not want this to happen.

Aruba TAC's solution is to start the iAP up in a network unable to reach our Aruba-Master and load the firmware twice, configure the device and deploy, but that defeats the object for me as I have a deployment of about 40 clusters that we need to complete.

Is there any other way of doing this?

Contributor II

Re: Instant AP auto detecting Aruba-Master

Aruba Employee

If it is possible to separate subnets for IAPs and controller-based APs, you could disable DHCP option 43 on the IAP subnet so that the IAPs never land up on a controller.

Another option can be a staggered deployment, where DHCP options are configured only after all the IAPs are up and running.

Yet another option is to configure an AP deployment policy on the controller (AOS 6.5.3.0+) where you can configure IP address ranges on the controller. If APs in these IP ranges contact the controller, they are rejected and instead redirected to the controller-less discovery process. More details can be found in the ArubaOS user guide, under the "AP Discovery Logic" section (Pg 516).

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=26228

Occasional Contributor I

Thank you sir, I like the third option as my master controller is discoverable via DNS.

I will LAB it and accept as solution if it works.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: