Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant AP compatibility

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Instant AP compatibility

Posted May 09, 2018 05:13 PM

Hi all,

I'm working on a network with a few controllerless IAP-205-WW APs. Part no. JL184A. Will the addition of IAP-205-RW (Part no. JW212A) APs to the network be seamless or do I have to stick to JL184A access points?

Michael

• 2.  RE: Instant AP compatibility

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 12:19 PM

michael.morgan@netlinks.co.ttwrote:

Hi all,

I'm working on a network with a few controllerless IAP-205-WW APs. Part no. JL184A. Will the addition of IAP-205-RW (Part no. JW212A) APs to the network be seamless or do I have to stick to JL184A access points?

The earlier JL184A IAPs were earlier pre-acquisition AP models that run different firmware. You would not be able to cluster them along with the JW212A models.

• 3.  RE: Instant AP compatibility

Posted May 17, 2018 05:20 PM

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your response.

Any suggestions? The JL184A have been discontinued and are very hard to find.

Do I have to abandon the units that we deployed a year ago and replace all with the current units?

Michael

• 4.  RE: Instant AP compatibility

Posted May 18, 2018 10:42 AM

We've had a similar issue with our 205s beyond the stated memory deficiency. 

What we did was re-allocate the older 205s so that they would be together and so we wouldn't have to worry about that "mixed" cluster issue.  I would say you don't have to abandon them, but if you MUST use them in a cluster with the newer 205s, you may be out of luck. 

In a pinch you could also run two clusters (if your environment is suitable to such a thing) 

• 5.  RE: Instant AP compatibility

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2018 11:01 AM

The JW212A has also gone end of sale as of 4/30/18. The JL184A sku ended on 11/1/16.

I see conflicting information about whether the two SKUs can work in the same cluster, since the JW212A was the replacement SKU for the JL184A. It may be possible, but I would test or validate through Aruba TAC first before making a purchase.