Controllerless Networks

Frequent Contributor II

Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Is it possible to configure firewall groups or netdestination within Aruba Instant? I never would have imagined this would be missing from Instant, but I'm not finding it anywhere. Running 6.4.3.4.

Network Engineer | Airhead | Titus 3:5
MVP

Re: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Unfortunately not available

Sent from Outlook for iPhone
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Frequent Contributor II

Thank you, Victor for the quick reply. That was what I was afraid of. I've asked so many different Aruba resources for a document that outlines, in detail, all of the differences between Aruba Instant & Controller-based. This is exactly the kind of detail that I need to know. if anyone is aware of such a document, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Aruba Employee

Hi Clayman, 

At this point we don't have a document that lists all the differences. But I'm sure this one will help you to some extent. 

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/IAP-CLI-Quick-Start-guide/ta-p/253452

Thanks, 

Rajaguru Vincent 

Thanks,
Rajaguru Vincent
CWNA | CWSP | CWAP | CWDP | ACMP
Frequent Contributor II

Thanks. That is helpful but not quite what I need. I fee like Aruba is doing it's customer's and partners a disservice by not being more transparent about the features and limitations of Instant.

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Clayman wrote:

Thanks. That is helpful but not quite what I need. I fee like Aruba is doing it's customer's and partners a disservice by not being more transparent about the features and limitations of Instant.

Clayman,

How do you come to that conclusion?  The online documentation for Instant is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030 and there are people who answer questions on this forum 24/7 about Instant and we released a Validated Reference Guide for Instant here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Aruba-Instant-Validated-Reference-Design/ta-p/258782.  How is Aruba not being transparent about what features are in Instant?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

cjoseph wrote:

Clayman,

How do you come to that conclusion?  The online documentation for Instant is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030 and there are people who answer questions on this forum 24/7 about Instant and we released a Validated Reference Guide for Instant here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Aruba-Instant-Validated-Reference-Design/ta-p/258782.  How is Aruba not being transparent about what features are in Instant?

Colin, my point is that from my experience Instant is marketed as a an alternative to controller-based wireless that is both extremely easy to deploy and other than the cluster limitation, is on par with a controller. Most of that is true, but its not the whole picture. The whole picture is that Instant is a powerful product but lacks some potentially important functionality that the controller provides. I think that Aruba should be more forthcoming about what those limitations are so that it's easier to make the decision between Controller vs Instant.

I shouldn't have to login to the forum & post questions about, "Does Instant do X and does Instant do Y?" Likewise, am I expected to pull up the design guide for AOS and Instant and then compare the two line by line for differences? To be clear, I think Instant is an awesome product. I just think it should be clear that Instant does lack functionality of the controller and those differences should be clearly explained.

Guru Elite

Clayman,

Most that discussion should happen with your Aruba partner to design the
appropriate topology and scale for the business case.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Aruba Employee

Hi Clayman

Because firewall groups and netdestinations are not mentioned in the CLI guide or the user guide of instant, it means they are not supported as of today.  However I agree with the others that your choice of one vs. the other should be more based on business case and not fine-grained feature-level differences.  Traditionally, if there is general agreement that instant is a fit for a particular business case except for one particular, fine-grained feature, we would generally accept that as a feature request and work out a roadmap for it.

Thanks,

Yan

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: