Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Instant IAP 105

So, here's my problem...  We have purchased a handful of these APs.  I have 3 of them setup, and they are working OK.  I have 1 in the east side of our building and one on the west side.  I log into the UI, and see all of the clients, and which AP they are connected to, but most of them are getting a really bad signal/speed.  Now, I've turned one on in the middle of the building, between the original 2, and all of the signal strengths and speeds come up.  Why does adding another AP effect the signal of existing APs?

Thanks in advance,

-Nate

Aruba

Re: Instant IAP 105

Adding APs to an environment side by side (e.g. same RF environment) should decrease RF strength from each AP, or represent no change.  It should not go up.

Do you have some screen shots or data of what you are seeing that we can pick through?

MVP

(Commenting, but I admittedly have no hands on experience with instant APs.)

The clients with poor signal strength...are they reporting poor performance/experience? I'm uncertain as to how those signal metrics are reported, but it *sounds* like the middle AP is contributing RF statistics that would help accurately report signal strength. Then again, it may not work that way.

When the middle AP comes up and the client signal/speed improved, did the clients associate to the middle AP?
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University

Sorry, I've had a lot of other stuff come up that I had to deal with.  I will be back at the facility with the 105s on Friday.  I'll be able to get some screenshots and get some more information then.

I would like to ask if before installing the IAP's did you have someone run a site survey and got that only 2 AP's should be enough - or you thought that 2 IAP's with the power settings at 20 should be enough  -  in this case you could still have portions of the building that are not covered by WiFi signal.

The WiFi network is it used for Voice or Data  - that would be another thing that should be took in consideration once you deploy a network.

If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!

We did not have a site survey done.  My former System Admin ordered these AP-105s to replace 2 Cisco APs that we were previously using.  It didn't tell me a whole lot of what his thought process was, but he initially ordered Cisco replacements and then returned them for the Arubas.  I'm not sure why he did that.  But the 2 Cisco APs were fine.  I'm at that location now, I should be able to do some more troubleshooting with them today.

Nate

Just to have a comparison what Cisco AP's were there before?

The Aruba AP's are they connected to the Controller or they IAP's ?

If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!

The Cisco APs that were replaced were Aironet 1100.

Of course today it's not making as drastic of a difference as it was earlier, but here are some screen shots.  The first with just the 2 aps, and the 2nd with all three.

notall.pngall2.png

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: