Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

Posted Sep 29, 2017 03:20 AM

I configured a IAP-Mesh-Bridge with two IAP315 to bridge some networks from one site to another.

The bridge itselt is up and runnning. However, when I try to ping the switch on the Mesh-Point-Side I face a packetloss around 45%. The notebooks on the Mesh-Point-Side are running fine. No issues with them.

My assumption is that they are communication all the time. The switch is not communicating all the time and I can force to get the switch back to 100% response when I flash ARP tables. Otherwise I have to wait some time until the switch is doing any communication and the ping is back with full response. After some time it drops again.

Main issue is if we connect phone on the Point-Side, I will not be able to call them all the time.

Any suggestions why this is happening?

• 2.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 06:46 AM

Is this indoor our outdoor?

What is your channel Width for that mesh (20mhz, 40 mhz, 80 mhz)?

If this is outdoors, you would have better luck with a 20mhz width channel.

You should type "show ap mesh link" on both sides to see the RSSI (rate) and tx/rx rates.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_423_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#CLI_commands/show_ap_mesh_link.htm

• 3.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

Posted Oct 04, 2017 02:50 AM

Hi,

we have an RSSI from 37 on the local and 39 on the remote side.

It is using 80 Mhz channel. Do you think it is more stable to use 20 Mhz?

Yes, it is used for outdoor meshing.

• 4.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 07:25 AM

20 mhz is more stable, yes.   If you can uncheck "wide" and "80 mhz" in the arm profile, during a maintenance window, you should.  

• 5.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

Posted Oct 06, 2017 08:52 AM

We configured 40 Mhz for the moment (I will suggest to use 20Mhz) but the issue is still the same.

I would assume that it is not the wireless connection but the port configuration or some other special configurations that the clients that are not sending traffic all the time to time out. Are there any options like that?

• 6.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2017 09:34 AM

What is the distance between mesh APS?

• 7.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

Posted Oct 11, 2017 01:36 PM

The distance is about 10-15m.

The RSSI in 40Mhz chanel width is 41 (from my point of view a very good value).

I fear we need to have a look at port configurations and access roles.

• 8.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

Posted Jan 11, 2019 05:06 PM

mneesen,

Did you ever find the solution to the problem you described? I have a similar situation with an Aruba IAP wireless bridge setup. I have always on devices at the site that work perfectly fine but my switch management IP and a UPS with a management IP drop alot of packets. I have to setup a ip sla continuous ping on my switch to keep the traffic from dropping to it. Would be wonderful to resolve so I can monitor my UPS for power outages but had to disable since I kept getting up/down alerts due to dropped packets.

Jeremy

• 9.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 12:09 AM

hi Jeremy

there is a known issue with IAP mesh, where a topology like this:

sw1 --- mesh portal --//    //-- mesh point --- sw2

will have packet loss when trying to ping sw2 from the sw1 network side. This is apparently fixed in 8.4.x software due to some rearchitecture of the mesh code. I have asked R&D for some more info about it, has something to do with idle time which I think matches your observvaton of needing a continuous ping.

What version are you on and could you consider an upgrade to 8.4.x at some point soon ?

-jeff

• 10.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

Posted Jan 14, 2019 01:45 PM

Hello Jeff,

We are running 8.3.0.5 on our IAP bridge using 374 AP's. I see an 8.4.0.0 version available to download under standard release. Will this version include the new mesh setup? I'm willing to try it since my setup has minimal usage at this time. Thanks.

Jeremy

• 11.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 15, 2019 12:54 PM

Hello Jeff,

I went ahead and updated my bridge setup to 8.4.0.0. I removed my ip sla continuous ping on my switch with no dropping of packets so far. Also have added my UPS back to monitoring. No drops on polling snmp variables to it. Seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks for you help.

Jeremy

• 12.  RE: Instant Mesh Bridge IAP315

Posted Jan 16, 2019 02:07 AM

Thank you for testing.

It would be good to have a faster solution for the next case...