Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant Re-Authentication - User Role

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Instant Re-Authentication - User Role

Posted Aug 22, 2018 12:29 PM

Any way to set a re-authentication interval either from Clearpass enforcement or by specifying it on the Instant User Role?

I tried passing radius:ietf / session-timout / 60 (for 60 second re-auth as a test) and the Cluster seems to ignore this. 

• 2.  RE: Instant Re-Authentication - User Role

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 01:03 PM

This is only useful for a Captive Portal setup, by the way.  If you force a 802.1x client to reauthenticate, the supplicant will resubmit the credentials and the client will simply reattach.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_423_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#CLI_commands/wlan%20ssid-profile.htm?Highlight=reauth%20interval

• 3.  RE: Instant Re-Authentication - User Role

Posted Aug 22, 2018 01:08 PM

So it looks like it is only do-able on the WLAN itself. I guess I will make due with that. There will be other devices connected that I dont really want to re-auth (Some IOT devices using device profiling to bypass cap portal) but they should be OK with it. 

Yes, this is for Captive Portal. 

Thanks for the response! 

• 4.  RE: Instant Re-Authentication - User Role
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 01:09 PM

To check to see if the session-timeout attribute is being adhered to, use the

"show client debug" command and look for the session-timeout for that user:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-configure-the-Radius-session-timeout-with-Aruba-Instant/ta-p/178718

• 5.  RE: Instant Re-Authentication - User Role

Posted Aug 22, 2018 01:28 PM

Thanks! That got me going in the right direction. The Radius:IETF Session-Timout does work. I was sending it twice and the longer duration trumped the shorter duration hence why I was not seeing a re-auth. 

FYI - I dont think newer IAP code shows the session time-out any longer. I am running 6.5.4.6. It is hard to read the blob of data but I dont think I see the timeout. Anyway, thanks for the help guys! 

• 6.  RE: Instant Re-Authentication - User Role

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 01:32 PM
    Decrease your font, or view the output on a wide monitor.