Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

Posted Jan 25, 2016 04:28 AM

Hi

I'm building a PoC for a customer, provisioning Instant automatically using Activate and Airwave. I set the IAP's in Atvivate to use the right policy so the Airwave IP address and the group is assigned. 

The IAP is dropped in Airwave new devices folder. I only have to click add and it's added to the right group, receiving the configuration. I don't have to change the folder/group setting, it will take the Activate assigned group.

However, the customer was told he didn't have to do any action in AIrwave, the IAP should get the config straight away so he doens't like to accept the above. The project will provision quite a large amount of individual IAP's/VC's

Is there an option to get the IAP straight into the by Activate assigned group/folder or is the add new device mandatory. Airwave group is set for IGC. I have tested all basic Automatic Authorization but they don't seem to work for Instant. I have read all the documentation I could find and some say you might have to do above. Most don't mention it at all.

AMP version 8.0.10 Instant version 4.2.

txs

Erik

• 2.  RE: Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 05:21 AM

• 3.  RE: Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

Posted Jan 25, 2016 05:33 AM

Hi Colin,

yes I have. The group is also has IGC enabled. I haven't tested in IGC disabled though

rgds,

Erik

• 4.  RE: Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 05:54 AM

IGC should be enabled.  Before I go any further, have you read the "Deploying Airwave with Instant" guide here?  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=14106

• 5.  RE: Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

Posted Jan 25, 2016 06:00 AM

yes I have. It has been my main guide to do the setup. 

rgds,

Erik

• 6.  RE: Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 08:29 AM

Erik,

The access points are showing up in Airwave, so Activate is working right.

What are your settings in Airwave?  Are you using a Whitelist, like the documentation recommends, or are you using another method to authorize the IAPs?  Do you already have a single IAP already in your group with a config already in IGC (instant GUI config)?

• 7.  RE: Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate

Posted Jan 25, 2016 08:42 AM

Activate is working, that is correct.

I'm not using a whitelist. Shared Secret is set. Authorize Aruba IAPs connecting to Airwave is set to All.

1st VC is accepted, IGC config is set. Second IAP is added manually (by the customer) because it wasn't known in Activate and the Cloud Activation Key didn't appear.

I have been trying to similate the above with my own setup. I have no access to Activate so I used DHCP option 43 and 60 to automate the provisioning. For me it's working as expected; the 2nd and 3th VC's are added automatically. I assume that using DHCP will be te same as using Activate. Pass on the group, Airwave IP and shared secret.

Even adding an IAP manually to Airwave is working without me doing anything in AIrwave.

I will go back to the customer informing him that a mistake must have been made somewhere in the setup or the thinking progress and that the process is working as has been sold.

I will get back to this when I receive a reply.

thanks

Erik

• 8.  RE: Instant Zero Config with Airwave and Activate
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 28, 2016 03:53 AM

Customer replied back today.

they got a second IAP added to Activate and did the test again. It is working as planned, the provisioning on the second IAP is done automatically. Customer is happy.

There must have been made a mistake when adding the second IAP manually to Airwave. 

Thanks for your support Colin. Some new experience with Airwave achieved.

regards,

Erik