Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant and Airwave

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Instant and Airwave

Posted Mar 10, 2016 03:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently deployed about 15 IAPs using Instant, I later purchased Airwave and now I'm currently managing my instant access points through Airwave.

I would like to know if it's possible to adopt the IAPs using Airwave (Airwave as the controller, not a VC anymore as it is with instant), and how can I do this having minimal impacts on my current configurations?

I suppose I could just unplug all IAPs, factory default everything and adopt them through Airwave... but I'm hoping that there is a more elegant way to do it.

Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Instant and Airwave

Posted Mar 10, 2016 03:11 PM

No this is not possible, The VC is design to be the center point of the IAP cluster and IAP config management.

The only option which you have is to put each IAP in standalone mode and then have them configure individually to talk to Airwave (not a suggested path)

• 3.  RE: Instant and Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 05:41 PM

@Luiz Clarke wrote:

Hi everyone,

I recently deployed about 15 IAPs using Instant, I later purchased Airwave and now I'm currently managing my instant access points through Airwave.

I would like to know if it's possible to adopt the IAPs using Airwave (Airwave as the controller, not a VC anymore as it is with instant), and how can I do this having minimal impacts on my current configurations?

I suppose I could just unplug all IAPs, factory default everything and adopt them through Airwave... but I'm hoping that there is a more elegant way to do it.

Any suggestions?

Do you mean you now want to manage the configuration on your IAPs through Airwave or are you already doing that?

• 4.  RE: Instant and Airwave

Posted Mar 10, 2016 10:08 PM

I'm already managing them through Airwave, I have the instant GUI enabled.

My only purpose for trying to migrate them from instant to airwave would be to use the airwave guest system instead of the instant guest system... In instant you can create a really plain guest account, just username ans password, but in airwave you can register the guest with username, password, e-mail, expiration date for the account, etc... And I couldn't get the airwave guest system to work, so I guessed that I would have to re-adopt the IAPs using airwave (I read in an old thread that instant was not compatible with airwave's guest system). I'm pretty much lost right now, is it compatible or not?

Here's my thread explaining the guest issue with more details: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/New-guest-accounts-with-a-quot-pending-quot-status/m-p/260743

• 5.  RE: Instant and Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 10:33 PM

Airwave guest accounts only work with controller-based systems, unfortunately.

• 6.  RE: Instant and Airwave

Posted Mar 10, 2016 10:48 PM

By controller based system you mean airwave as a physical appliance with all the APs connectd to it, right?

In my case airwave is instaled in a server and all the IAPs are sharing the same management vlan. Like wajih pointed out, I can't adopt them using Airwave, corret?

• 7.  RE: Instant and Airwave
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 10:56 PM

Instant APs, (IAPs) do not require a WLAN controller.  The Airwave guest portion only supports WLAN controllers.  IAPs are controller-les, unfortunately.

• 8.  RE: Instant and Airwave

Posted Mar 10, 2016 11:39 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you very much!

Looks like clear pass is the way to go then