Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant - special roaming scenario

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Instant - special roaming scenario

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:26 PM

Hi,

I have this special scenario:

-Guest access with two Instants 20meter apart, connected over WAN (no way to change that to L2 network)

These Instants shall broadcast the same SSID.

It's guest access, so I don't mind that client has to re-negotioate DHCP address and reestablish all connections - that's fine.

Problem is, I can't get Windows to acctually re-negotioate DHCP....it simply roams and keeps original IP, which might not be valid(different subnet) or may be used on the other IAP.

Interestingly, it works fine with iPhone...it changes IP automatically.

Does anyone one if it is possible to enforce this from Instant with Windows ?

Thanks...

P.S.: in case anyone wonders...it's a shopping mall without CAT infrastructure but 2-wire cabling. Each AP has ADSL modem to private DSLAM, which behaves like WAN router.

• 2.  RE: Instant - special roaming scenario

Posted Jan 07, 2013 03:42 PM

Okay you can see both through L3 without natting?

IF you can then you can try L3 roaming? it will build a tunnel between both VCs... so you should be able to roam...

How is all this connected??? what ap model you using?

It is like this?

AP---Switch---ADSL---Internet

And on the oher AP

AP---Switch---ADSL---Internet

But then you got in this part

ADSL---Internet

ADSL---Private DSLAM

And you got a route to the private DSLAM? for a specific network which is the other side private private DSLAM...

Pleas explain... im kind of confused.... as its a really specific scenario.   Otherwise we wont be able to help you

• 3.  RE: Instant - special roaming scenario

Posted Jan 08, 2013 08:16 AM

Yes, IAP  #1 sees IAP #2 on L3, no NAT (actually both have public IP's).

Scenario:

AP-93 #1 (public IP #1) -> ADSL modem #1 (bridge-mode) -> Private DSLAM -> ADSL Modem #2 (bridge) -> AP-93 #2 (public ip #2)

Private DSLAM  is connected to Internet, however AP #1 to AP #2 communicate directly over this DSLAM, which technically does L3 routing between AP#1 and AP#2 - no L2.

Yes, intra-cluster L3 roaming sounds like good idea, I had wrongly thought it works inside cluster only.

However I find L3 roaming overcomplicated for this scenario. I would be more currious to find why Win7 roam differently then iPhone...any ideas?

Thanks...

• 4.  RE: Instant - special roaming scenario
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 08, 2013 08:47 AM

L3 roaming is the correct way to do it...

IF you do it like you are doing it... yes it might get again the IP with the DHCP and all but then all the sessions will drop... you are just reathenticating... is not the correct way to do it...

I advice you to try L3 roaming which will prevent this from happening, as you will not need to reathenticate again.

• 5.  RE: Instant - special roaming scenario

Posted Jan 30, 2013 04:21 AM

OK, sounds like a good idea...