Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Issues with IAP 215 and Client Match

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Issues with IAP 215 and Client Match

Posted Oct 08, 2015 01:55 AM

Hello,

I am having an issue with Client Match and an IAP 215 cluster running the newest firmware, 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.10_51810.

No matter what, with client match enabled, I have Mac clients on 5Ghz N & AC with roaming delays. It started out that they would just deauth and disconnect for 30+ seconds. With some tweaking to transmit power and probe requests we are able to keep the clients authenticated, however they still take several (12+) seconds to roam to a new AP. It's worth mentioning that this AP deployment is on the dense side. Interference has been ruled out and confirmed by TAC.

TAC has helped me dial in settings to make Client Match functional, but it's far from what I would call ideal. If I disable Client Match and get rid of some lower data rates my clients roam much faster, usuially within 4 seconds or so. 

Is anyone else seeing this? Any recommendations? 

• 2.  RE: Issues with IAP 215 and Client Match

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2015 06:51 AM

ClientMatch is NOT a roaming mechanism.  If you have problems with roaming, you need to adjust the power of your access points to make roaming acceptable.  ClientMatch typically does not need to be adjusted.  Poor power and spacing can hinder ClientMatch, however.

Please post your access point list that has the power, channel and utilization.

• 3.  RE: Issues with IAP 215 and Client Match

Posted Oct 08, 2015 04:39 PM
      |   view attached

Thanks for the reply!

I realize client match is not a mecahnism for roaming but in my situation it did seem to affect the ability to roam quickly when enabled. I did some more tweaking last night with client match enabled, and there has been an improvement with tx power levels set very low(6/12). The access points are anywhere from 8-12 meters apart in a building with several offices.

The info you requested is attached. EDIT: This is during business hours with all clients in the building.

• 4.  RE: Issues with IAP 215 and Client Match
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2015 04:47 PM

Clientmatch does not kick in until after the client has already roamed, so it could not help roaming.

Lowering or raising the power has a key effect on roaming.  With that being said, your 5ghz access points typically need to be 3 to 6 dbm stronger than your 2.4ghz APs for dual-band clients to roam to the 5ghz band initially.  Again, that is separate from ClientMatch.  You can tweak clientmatch and get unpredictable, and inexplicable results, so unless you have some way of measuring the effects of it, it is best unchanged from the defaults.