Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

LDAP server config with Instant

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  LDAP server config with Instant

Posted Sep 13, 2013 12:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I am working with a customer to deploy an Instant cluster using their existing AD for user authentication. They have configured the cluster but are having problems authenticating. They have configured the WLAN to use LDAP for authentication, and have tested the AdminDN account succesfully. I am by no means an AD or LDAP expert so I am a bit stumped. 

They have users in several OUs under their main DC. When they configure: 

dc=customerdc,dc=inc

in the BaseDN field, the auth fails and they get an "ldap_search() failed: Operations error" message in the log.

When they configure:

ou=customerou,dc=customerdc,dc=inc

in the BaseDN field, authentication works for users in that specific OU.

Does anyone know how to configure this so that all users in all OUs under the main DC will authenticate?

Thanks,

Chris

• 2.  RE: LDAP server config with Instant

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2013 12:55 PM

Try to configure the base DN as only dc=customerdc,dc=inc

• 3.  RE: LDAP server config with Instant

Posted Sep 13, 2013 12:58 PM

Hi cjoseph - we did that originally and that config produced the error as noted. Only with an additional OU listed did the auth work. Any idea why that might be?

• 4.  RE: LDAP server config with Instant

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2013 01:16 PM

I do not.

Are they using LDAP with Captive Portal pointing at AD?  If so using Radius to NPS instead could allow us to sidestep that, if you want to try it.

• 5.  RE: LDAP server config with Instant

Posted Mar 16, 2018 07:56 AM

I am trying to configure LDAP authentication server also. Where I can see log, currently all is configured properly I think but still windows7 is kicking me out. I cannot find where is the log for that authentication service.

• 6.  RE: LDAP server config with Instant

Posted Mar 19, 2018 04:23 AM

Hello!

You respond to a 5 year old topic - might be better of creating your own. Instant with LDAP has been discussed many times with more recent information.

For debugging - try the instant web training module 5. Here you will get information on how to troubleshoot the EAP process. More specifically between 4 and 7 minute..

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/aruba-instant/instant-training/