Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:30 PM

We have several AP-225's we plan to deploy as instants via central/virtual controller setup. I have seen some coments stating that we are limited to 254 clients per ssid with this model. Is that correct? Is there a best practice? We have plenty of AP-225's at our disposal. We need to be in the 750 client-to-SSID range with this deployment.

• 2.  RE: MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:49 PM

How much BW do you need per device?

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

Posted Mar 18, 2014 11:58 PM

HI NIghtShade,

We plan to cap at 512Kbps per client, down. I know thats high but we have 100Mbps bandwidth available. I just need to know if that kind of client density is possible as we have other methods of implementing QoS if needed.

• 4.  RE: MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

Posted Mar 19, 2014 12:12 AM

Well thats not really high actually.... There are some deployments using up to 3Mbps per device.

I would say 100  devices per AP if you asume all the devices are a/b/g/n 1x1:1(smartphones, tablets)  the number could be higher if the clients devices had better wireless card

Also this assume that we got clients distributed between 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios.

Also You can read my manual, it will help you to have an idea of what you are looking for.

Take in mind this manual does not take things like bad RF enviroment or other things like that...

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Tutorial-Calculating-Number-of-APs-for-High-Density-Scenarios/td-p/145177

Are all the APS distribuited around a campus? or they will be in an auditorium or something like that? because if you are planning on putting all the aps toguether in an auditorium or something like  that, then you must  take some extra caution in there.

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

Posted Mar 19, 2014 12:15 AM

If you see in the real world scenario i used from ARuba

With 100 ipads when it was needed minimum of 3Mbps per ipad it was needed 4 AP 135

You are just needing 512k :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 19, 2014 12:19 AM

i was re reading your questoin

Okay there are some corrections

is not 254 per SSID its 254 per AP.

In a single cluster there can be up to 2000 devices with the lastest firmware as fari know.  Is not a hard limit but is recommended.

Just in AP 9x model the cluster is limited to 254 devices per cluster, but your AP is a 225 so you should be good to go!, you got the AP with the best CPU RAM of all Aruba APs.

What i show you before is how many client devices can be in one AP(Not per SSID, per AP! okay? )

Cheers

Carlos

• 7.  RE: MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:11 PM

Thanks for clearing that up!

• 8.  RE: MAX number of clients on a single SSID with instant AP-225's and a virtual controller.

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:14 AM

Sounds like a fun project!