Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

MDNS Memory over subscribed

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  MDNS Memory over subscribed

Posted Dec 06, 2017 07:45 AM

Hi,

I've been going through our controllers (7240's and 7220's) (AOS 6.5.1.9) and have noticed that our mdns memory is over subscribed. I've seen it as high as a gig of memory over subscribed. Has anybody else seen this issue. I've had some complaints from users telling me their video streaming has cut out on them. One inparticular is a Solstice Pod. Here is a screen shot of memory over subscribed. 

#show memory debug | include over

arci-cli-helper : 34/100M (cur/typical) 0M over
    arm : 134/900M (cur/typical) 0M over
    auth : 226/655M (cur/typical) 0M over
    ble_relay : 5/40M (cur/typical) 0M over
    cfgm : 38/100M (cur/typical) 0M over
    dbsync : 3/12M (cur/typical) 0M over
    dds : 76/100M (cur/typical) 0M over
    fpapps : 27/155M (cur/typical) 0M over
    fw_visibility : 375/350M (cur/typical) 25M over
    ha_mgr : 53/60M (cur/typical) 0M over
    isakmpd : 7/450M (cur/typical) 0M over
    l2tpd : 3/12M (cur/typical) 0M over
    mdns : 500/100M (cur/typical) 400M over
    mobileip : 4/12M (cur/typical) 0M over
    ofa : 4/350M (cur/typical) 0M over
    ospf : 3/12M (cur/typical) 0M over
    pim : 9/10M (cur/typical) 0M over
    pptpd : 3/10M (cur/typical) 0M over
    profmgr : 7/12M (cur/typical) 0M over
    slb : 4/12M (cur/typical) 0M over
    snmpd : 6/10M (cur/typical) 0M over
    stm : 216/954M (cur/typical) 0M over
    ucm : 22/120M (cur/typical) 0M over
    udbserver : 4/10M (cur/typical) 0M over
    web_cc : 5/90M (cur/typical) 0M over
    wms : 107/400M (cur/typical) 0M over

• 2.  RE: MDNS Memory over subscribed

Posted Dec 11, 2017 09:18 PM

these memory thresholds dont really have any way to adust to what is normal for your deployment - take the 400M over with a grain of salt initially.

The more important thing will be if the value is climbing which may be indicative of a memory leak. You can monitor the output of "show memory debug" and "show memory mdns" over a couple of days to see what its behavior is (similarly you can view the controller overall memory use if you have airwave, how is it behaving over 3 days or a week)

if this is just heavy mdns usage the value should be quite static, if the value is climbing each day and not receding when the busy peak of the day is over then you may have a leak (wont be the first one mdns has seen).

heavy mem usage in mdns is expected if you have a lot of mdns devices in the network, it probably shouldnt cause impact to end devices unless something is full or taking too long, the logs may give a clue to that.

first things first - is it stable or increasing monotonically? how does it behave over a longer term ?

• 3.  RE: MDNS Memory over subscribed

Posted Dec 12, 2017 10:53 AM

Thank you for the reply...I've monitored it over the last couple of weeks. I see the mdns memory changing. Sometimes on some controllers its over 1 gigabit oversubscribed. Then on the next day its not over subscribed at all. I'm going to monitor it via Airwave and see how the history matches up.

• 4.  RE: MDNS Memory over subscribed

Posted Dec 12, 2017 11:07 AM

the key thing to check then is if the mdns process has crashed when it peaked - if it hasnt then it may just be growing and shrinking based on the load. Check to see if it has restarted using show process monitor statistics (and then tar crash -> log a ticket if it has)

• 5.  RE: MDNS Memory over subscribed

Posted Dec 12, 2017 12:19 PM

Okay thanks...Will do.

• 6.  RE: MDNS Memory over subscribed

Posted Dec 12, 2017 12:29 PM

After running the command it looks like the mdns has restarted 21 times on this particular controller.

mswitch/bin/mdns             PROCESS_RUNNING  -                 21        240            3                Sat Dec  9 04:56:18 2017

I'm going to open a case with TAC....Thanks for the insight and help.