Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Many clusters in the same layer 2.

Hi everybody,

We have a customer who'd like to have more than one cluster in the same layer 2. He works with IAP. Is this possible, and if it is, how ?

Thanks by advance,

Nicolas

Guru Elite

Re: Many clusters in the same layer 2.

Only a single cluster is allowed in a layer 2 network.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks for your response.

I have my answer but not the solution of my problem.

I'm now looking up the standalone mode. Is it possible to enable rf management and roaming for IAPs in standalone mode ? 

Guru Elite

Is there a functional reason why would the user want to have individual clusters in the same VLAN?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Yes, there is a big amount of APs at different places. They're linked with a link of layer 2.  

We think that if we put all this APs into one cluster, we'll experience performance issues.

That's why we're trying to do individual clusters. We could create many vlans but the customer doesn't want this solution. 

The standalone solution seems good for places with just 1 AP. But if we can't activate the RF management and the roaming, the solution won't work for places with 2 or more APs...

Guru Elite

How many devices are in the single VLAN?  It might not matter.

Colin Joseph

Aruba

Yes, there is a big amount of APs at different places.

• How many exactly?  The recommended maximum is 128 APs.  There are many clusters out there of this size.

We think that if we put all this APs into one cluster, we'll experience performance issues.

• Based on what?
  • What model of APs are you going to install and (roughly) how many users?

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com

Well I was not really clear. 

We have one Vlan by country. In a country we have about 20 to 30 locations (stores) with 1-3 APs each and the VLAN is shared by all the users or devices of theses stores. Each place is linked to the central through a VPN. In The stores don't have a strong internet connection and we're afraid for the bandwidth. Therefore we'd like to avoid to send unuseful information to the central headquarters, in order to save this bandwidth. We don’t want a part of the bandwidth to be used by the IAPs while they are “discussing” with the virtual controller.

Spoiler
  • What model of APs are you going to install and (roughly) how many users?

We are using AP-103, and there will be about 5 users per AP.

Aruba Employee

When you say, "Each place is linked to the central through a VPN", can you elaborate please?

Are you talking about "Aruba Central"? 

No i meant to the headquarters.

I guess we can't enable the rf management nor the roaming in the standalone mode.

Is it possible to simulate a standalone mode by shutting down the ports which create the cluster and by keeping up those who are linked with the rf and the roaming ?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: