Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

Posted Oct 07, 2013 10:46 AM

Hi,

1. Can anyone here tell me that how many mac address entries (for authentication) IAP-105 support? I want to know the max limit in case of IAPs.

2. Can we create different login accounts with different rights for IAPs? If yes, how? I remember we can do it with controller but I'm not sure about IAP. 

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 07, 2013 11:41 AM

max clients on IAP is configurable up to 255, but is 64 by default. Of course, I would caution you about pinning that many clients on an IAP(s). We always need to ensure proper capacity and client experience. In current code, we QA up to 64 IAP's in a cluster and 1048 clients.

At the moment, there is not different tiered access for login to the IAP but its something that has been submitted on the idea's portal.

• 3.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

Posted Oct 08, 2013 08:23 AM

I think you misunderstood my first point :smileyhappy:

I didn't ask about the maximum number of clients that can get connected to IAP.

I asked about the maximum number of mac address entries we can add in the internal database of IAP for mac based authentication.

Please help.

• 4.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2013 09:11 AM

Ah...gotcha. I was looking that up a few weeks back, let me dig it up for you. standby....

• 5.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2013 11:02 AM

MAC Auth Address entries are 256 for the IAP-92/92 and 512 for all other IAP platforms.

Adam

• 6.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

Posted Oct 10, 2013 01:47 AM

Thank you akennedy for sharing your findings :smileyhappy:

But is that number for per virtual controller or based on the individuals IAP?

Lets assume there is a cluster of 16 IAP-92 and in other case there is a cluster of 100 IAP-105 so it means we cannot add more that 256 user's mac address for mac authentication in the virtual controller for iap-92. And for IAP-105, we cannot add more than 512 mac address in the internal database of the virtual controller no matter how many IAPs are in a cluster. Am i right?

• 7.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2013 08:31 AM

Correct, the MAC auth funciton is performed by the elected VC. Can you detail the auth mechanism you're trying to achieve? is this simply for employee usage? If requirements are beyond the spec'd DB size limits of the IAP - is there means to leverage a radius server for this?

• 8.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

Posted Jan 12, 2016 06:12 PM

Hi akennedy, do the 512 mac address entries also apply to IAP's 205 and 225?

Greetings and thanks for your time.

• 9.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 06:55 PM

Flazaro,

Yes it does.  Your challenge at that point is attempting to manage that number of addresses or accounts.  It would be best placed into an external radius server or active directory for easier management.

• 10.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

Posted Jan 12, 2016 07:04 PM

Thank you cjoseph

• 11.  RE: Max Mac Address Entries and Login Accts.

Posted Jun 28, 2017 09:58 AM

Hi, 512 Mac  entry in internal database of IAP-200 series is stable or not?? will it works properly??