Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Max clients threshold on guest network

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Max clients threshold on guest network

Posted Feb 22, 2016 12:32 PM

I have three IAP 105s and I'm running separate employee and guest SSIDs. On the guest SSID, I dropped the max clients threshold down to 32, but was still seeing almost 90 connections on the SSID. What is the expected behavior for the max clients threshold?

I'm wanting to set a cap on the maximum number of guest that can use the network at any given time.

I'm running 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11_52666.

• 2.  RE: Max clients threshold on guest network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2016 02:54 PM

That setting is per bssid, so essentially per AP.

What is the reasons for setting that low?  Are you concerned about bandwidth?  If so, you can set a bandwidth limit for your guest network, either overall or per user.

• 3.  RE: Max clients threshold on guest network

Posted Feb 22, 2016 04:25 PM

Is there a separate BSSID for 2.4 and 5GHz? Meaning if I have three access points and I set the max clients threshold to 32, the maximum total connections across all APs would be 3x2x32=192?

I'm using bandwidth limits on the guest network already, I was just worried about having a high number of clients per AP and didn't want to box myself into a situation where the employee side was starved for bandwidth due to too many guest connections.

• 4.  RE: Max clients threshold on guest network

Posted Feb 22, 2016 10:19 PM

yes i have also noticed this in some of my testings its  per BSSID based , which   means  if you are  limiting  it  to  32 users than  there would be 32 users on each radio (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz )

for three IAPs  you will get total of  32(users)x2(radios)x3(IAP's) = 192 users

• 5.  RE: Max clients threshold on guest network

Posted Feb 22, 2016 10:21 PM

what is the  maximum number  of users you have ever observed per IAP ??

• 6.  RE: Max clients threshold on guest network
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 03:00 AM

@jrethorn wrote:

Is there a separate BSSID for 2.4 and 5GHz? Meaning if I have three access points and I set the max clients threshold to 32, the maximum total connections across all APs would be 3x2x32=192?

I'm using bandwidth limits on the guest network already, I was just worried about having a high number of clients per AP and didn't want to box myself into a situation where the employee side was starved for bandwidth due to too many guest connections.

Yes, each radio has a separate bssid.  Your bandwidth controls are the right way of restricting things.  By lowering that max-clients threshold you will have many issues with your guests and it becomes difficult to troubleshoot.  It is much easier to deal with complaints about lack of bandwidth than explaining why that guest device wont connect at all.

If you feel that the ap has too many clients connected to it, then that is probably an indication that you should install additional aps.

• 7.  RE: Max clients threshold on guest network

Posted Feb 23, 2016 09:48 AM

Kashan, I don't think I've ever hit a limit. The most I've observed is ~70 on one IAP.

Michael_Clarke, thanks for the explination. I'm in a situation where I need both more bandwidth and extra APs. I'll stick with the bandwidth controls for now.