Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Merging 2 clusters of IAPs into 1 cluster

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Merging 2 clusters of IAPs into 1 cluster

Posted Jul 03, 2013 12:26 AM

I am trying to merge 2 clusters in different subnet of IAPs into 1 cluster same subnet, the following is done in my lab 

Version 6.1.3.1-3.0.0.1

AP-1 : Cluster 1 - SSID: Aruba-Testing1

AP-2: Cluster 2 - SSID: Aruba-Testing2

When I unplug AP-1 and plug it into AP-2 cluster it appears as part of AP-2 cluster broadcasting Aruba-Testing2 and forgotten about it's role as a Virtual Controller in cluster 1. Please advise if this is normal way an IAP will react when merging into another cluster? I was told that best practise is to reset the IAP first but in a deployed environment where the APs are mounted it is additional effort to bring it down and reset the AP. Any advise from the expert in this forum?:smileyhappy:

• 2.  RE: Merging 2 clusters of IAPs into 1 cluster

Posted Jul 03, 2013 12:47 AM

This is expected behavior.  

The Virtual Controller of a group owns the config for the entire group.   When you join a new AP to the group, whether it is at factory default or has a config on it from a previous group, it will inherit the config from the VC of the group it just joined. 

• 3.  RE: Merging 2 clusters of IAPs into 1 cluster

Posted Jul 03, 2013 01:24 AM

Thanks Marcus, in this case I can save the effort of climbing up and down.