Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Mesh with IAP-215 RW

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 06, 2015 09:57 AM

Hi,

I am having difficulties to setup mesh with IAP-215. So i have 4 IAP some model same version software. Everyting is working fine when plugged in the same VLAN etc. So from what i understand once the netwrok is configured you simple have to unplug a AP and deploy it else where and it will become a mesh point whilst a connected AP will become the portal. So the documentation stated as long is the ap doesnt have a connected ethernet port it will search for the portal and connect. So what it isnt clear on what happens if the AP is plugged into a POE injector, that means that the ethernet port is connected. Does this mean then it will boot up, wont find the other AP on its connected link and then become a VC itself. What is the requirement as the document makes it sound so easy.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 09:59 AM

Mesh support for Instant 11ac APs is expected around mid-end of June.

• 3.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 06, 2015 10:08 AM

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 06, 2015 10:36 AM

Hi Tim,

We have just purchased several IAP-215's with exactly this deployment method (single portal, multiple mesh points) in mind- we were not aware of this firmware limitation until June 2015.

Can you please advise if a beta firmware 6.4.3 is available to overcome this deployment issue in the short term. We ran into this limitation while deploying today.

Many thanks,

Tom Ranson

• 5.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2015 10:39 AM

Please contact your Aruba or partner SE.

• 6.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 06, 2015 10:53 AM

Hi Tim,

Ironically I represent a small, newly established Aruba partner. As such I have opened a case via the partner portal.

Kind regards,

Tom

• 7.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 06, 2015 10:58 AM

Hi Tom,

I have emailed our Aruba SE regarding this matter. I will convey the response as soon as i recieve it. Should you hear something in the mean time please do share.

thanks

• 8.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 07, 2015 04:22 AM

Hi Tom,

Aruba does have a beta version to use in the mean time. Please request it from them.

Thanks

• 9.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 07, 2015 04:29 AM

Hey MFB84,

Indeed, I have a case open which has now gone to Product Management to request the beta 6.4.3.x firmware for the IAP-21x series. I have not personally received confirmation that they have a version they are prepared to release as yet however (the SE's apparently only have access to the IAP-270 beta 6.4.3.x firmware, and not for any other Instant AP series).

Have you received confirmation that Aruba are prepared to release the beta for IAP-21x to you? I am still awaiting a decision from them (and really need to get our hands on it now).

Many thanks,

Tom

• 10.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 07, 2015 06:37 AM

Hey again,

Ok- so I have tested this code with 2x IAP-215's for an hour or so, and my advice to you is DO NOT TRY IT. It is absolutely crammed full of bugs- things I have noticed:

1. Meshing "works" as expected... which is good...

2. With only 1x AP in the network (which assumes mesh portal mode)- so not even using mesh functions- so many things do not work (these things also do not work with meshing APs in play of course!)

a) Lync cannot establish connectivity to Office365

b) Many websites fail to load (similar to the behaviour experienced with a path MTU issue)

c) Wireless medium is very unreliable- intermittent packet loss and throuput issues even reaching the local gateway router (client <-wifi-> AP <-1gbase-t-> router)

Not a good experience. I wouldn't bother yet as it's so buggy...

• 11.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted May 07, 2015 06:46 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Guess we will just have to wait then.

• 12.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

Posted Jul 23, 2015 03:20 AM

Hi Folks,

are there any updates regarding this case?

I currently in front of the same topic to set up a mesh using two IAP-215.

I already get in contact with my Aruba SE but havent received any updates so far.

Thanks for your support

Regards

WiFi_newbie

• 13.  RE: Mesh with IAP-215 RW

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2015 05:12 AM

Still in beta.  An announcement will be made when it is released.