Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.

Posted Jan 26, 2015 12:19 AM

I would like some guidance.

I would like to copy the settings form an instant cluster and apply it to a new IAP for another location/cluster. When cluster A’s setting is exported and used for cluster B, cluster B joins to airwave as if it is a part of cluster A which causes a world of conflict for me in airwave.  It doesn't matter if I change the Org or System name on the IAP prior to joining cluster B to airwave.

I figure that there is information in config that has to be purged. Or maybe there is a better way of accomplishing my goal. I’m open to suggestions.

What is the best way to export / import settings without the identity of the donor cluster?

• 2.  RE: Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 26, 2015 08:14 AM
    try changing the virtual-controller-key in the configuration.
    Replace one of the hex characters with another.

Are you simply downloading the configuration from the IAP itself, importing it into another VC?

• 3.  RE: Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.

Posted Jan 26, 2015 09:55 AM

Yes.  I downloaded the config out of a controller then load it on a new IAP at a different site.  I saw the key you mentioned and though it might be the culprit.  I wonder if there is a way to tell the new AP/VC to generate a new one.

I'll try removing the value from the config file and load it up in a new IAP to see what happens.

• 4.  RE: Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.

Posted Jan 26, 2015 09:57 AM
    No need to remove it, simply change a character.
    The key is a unique key per cluster but if 2 VCs have the same key, one of the VCs will not be reporting to Airwave.

• 5.  RE: Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.

Posted Jan 26, 2015 11:07 AM

Ok.  I have a live cluster with the cloned config now.  I'll issue the command virtual-controller-key <modified string> on it then try to add it to my airwave.

Do you know if changing this value on a cluster will break it.  Our will the VC simply pass it on as with any other command.  I only have one spare IAP so it's hard to test a cluster's reaction.

• 6.  RE: Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.

Posted Jan 26, 2015 11:27 AM
    It won't break it.

Make sure the Org string and key's are different on the IAP configuration as well.

• 7.  RE: Migrate Instant Config to new cluster without Airwave Conflict.

Posted Jan 26, 2015 12:37 PM

It worked like a charm.  Thank you for the help.