Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Mixed Class Cluster Creation - Firmware Requirements

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Mixed Class Cluster Creation - Firmware Requirements

Posted Jan 04, 2016 07:16 PM

Hi,

When creating a brand new mixed class cluster of Aruba Instant access points do all models of access point need to be running the same version of firmware ? Can i for example create a cluster of 105's first and then add 205's and the 205's recieve the firmware from the Aruba cloud-based image service? Or do all classes of access point need to be on the same code first before forming a cluster and using the cloud-based image service?

We are not using Airwaves or Aruba Central. 

Many thanks!

• 2.  RE: Mixed Class Cluster Creation - Firmware Requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2016 07:40 PM

Please see here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030#UG_files/IAP_maintenance/Firmware_Image_Server_in.htm?Highlight=mixed

"

Image Management Using Cloud Server

If the multi-class IAP network is not managed by AirWave, image upgrades can be done through the cloud-based image check feature. When a new IAP joining the network needs to synchronize its software version with the version on the Virtual Controller and if the new IAP belongs to a different class, the image file for the new IAP is provided by the cloud server."

It would be faster to upgrade the individual IAP to the version of the cluster before joining, though.

• 3.  RE: Mixed Class Cluster Creation - Firmware Requirements

Posted Jan 04, 2016 08:46 PM

Thanks for the reply... That is not the experience i am having though.

I have an existing cluster of 109's running code 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11_52666. When attempting to join a 105 to this cluster the access point displays the green power and ethernet and solid 2.4 and 5 radio lights in red. The access point then restarts after 20 or so minutes and displays the same.

I have confirmed that the 105 is currently running code 6.3.1.8-4.0.0.9_47220 and the Aruba cloud server is contactable and working on the existing cluster of 109's. The 105 access point has also been reset to factory settings. 

• 4.  RE: Mixed Class Cluster Creation - Firmware Requirements
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2016 09:10 PM

There was a bug in IAP versions 4.1.1.2 and below where an expired  internal certificate did not allow IAPs with code earlier than that to connect to the cloud server and update.  You will have to manually upgrade that IAP-105 to sidestep that issue.

I sent you the version of code you need for the IAP-105.

• 5.  RE: Mixed Class Cluster Creation - Firmware Requirements

Posted Jan 04, 2016 10:08 PM

Thanks for the info!

Is it all versions below 4.1.1.2 that have the bug? 

• 6.  RE: Mixed Class Cluster Creation - Firmware Requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2016 11:31 PM

Yes.  That means that they cannot update their firmware using the cloud.