Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Multisite with aruba instant

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Multisite with aruba instant

Posted Aug 06, 2013 10:13 AM

I have a main office that runs 10 Aruba Instants, no physical controller, No real advanced features, just a guest network and a coporate network that authenticates to the Domain Controller (radius). 

i now want to expand the Aruba Instant Network to a new Site office which is connected with a Site to Site VPN Tunnel.

Is there a best practise on how to do this? Can i get the config to the New Site IAP over the Existing VPN, or do i have to get the config from the Main office, then move it to the site office? Will it still work when the Site  IAP is on a differnent subnet then the other 10? 

• 2.  RE: Multisite with aruba instant

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2013 10:17 AM

I would recommend doing 2 clusters.  You shouldn't have the same IAP network across 2 physical sites.  You can simply add more APs to your new site and so long as they are on different networks, it will be fine.  If they end up on the same network, I would disable the auto join feature in the existing IAPs so you can force a second virtual controller.

• 3.  RE: Multisite with aruba instant

Posted Aug 06, 2013 10:34 AM

Splitting it up and redoing the radius over the VPN is a posibility, but i would like to keep them the same... al lot of users will move between the offices. ideally, single sign on for both locations same credentials same SSIDs.

I was just reading another post that said it was not possible to have multple subnets (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant/Can-a-Virtual-Controller-control-IAPs-on-different-subnets/td-p/90104) unless i use airwave, this an older post is this still not possible with later firmware?

• 4.  RE: Multisite with aruba instant

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2013 10:40 AM
    I am not arguing that you use the same RADIUS server?it would just be a second NAS device you have to configure at the other site. SSO is still possible. What I am cautioning against is having one virtual controller manage two sites.

• 5.  RE: Multisite with aruba instant

Posted Aug 06, 2013 11:39 AM

We setup each store with a swarm or 10-15 iAP and an entry in the HQ RADIUS server's NAS table.

Users travel from store to store and never have to think about the sign-on process.

I use Airwave to put identical tempates on each store, but it was fairly easy to do that manually before we set up Airwave.