Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 19, 2012 10:53 AM

Announcement:

Instant AP  SW ver. 3.1 (6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0)  has been posted to the Aruba Tech Support site.  This is a Major release with many exciting features.

Below are the release highlights though many more features are available (listed in the Release Notes):

• Spectrum Analysis.
    • Layer-3 Roaming
    • USB and PPPoE uplink 
    • Uplink failover 
    • Dynamic Multicast Optimization
    • Media Classification for Lync and FaceTime
    • 4G Support for RAP-3WN in Instant mode

The software, Release Notes, and User's Guide are available for download from the TAC site.   Internet based SW updates from within the IAP WebUI, via our cloud-based update servers, should be available in the week of Sept. 24th.

• 2.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 19, 2012 08:07 PM

Hello Marcus!

I got 2 questions

1-Will Aruba plan to include drop broadcast feature or vlan poolin feature so it can manage more than 200 users without any trouble?

2-Im guessing the spectrum analyzer feature would be like something basic not soo detailed like you have with the controller i guess right? anyways this might help when doing site survys, you can look if there are interference source and all that BEFORE implementing... i mean doing this without bringing a controller and all that...

• 3.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 19, 2012 08:15 PM

Also i dont see the relase note...

I see 3 documents in the support page

The user gide

The quickstartup guide

and MIB one....

No release note... i am looking in the incorrect place? im on the support site on instan AP on the folder of 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0

• 4.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 19, 2012 09:00 PM

Release notes are on the software download page.

• 5.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 19, 2012 09:02 PM

Thank you!! heh right!! i should have figure out that myself!

• 6.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 20, 2012 01:15 AM

NightShade1-

-Instant does support Broadcast / Multicast filtering today.  Check out the User's Guide under Ch. 4 - "Wireless Network" for details.

-An Instant Group of IAP-9x can support up to 256 concurrent connections and an Instant Group of IAP-10x / 13x / 175 / RAP-3 can support up to 1,024 concurrent connections.

-Check out the new "L3 Mobility" feature in the new version under Ch.8 of the User's Guide.  With L3 mobility you create a "Mobility Domain"by linking two, or more, IAP groups from separate Vlans. Users can roam between the groups and retain their original IP address.

-Spectrum, in Instant, is more basic than in the controller.  The controller provides a large number of charts to choose from where IAP gives you a basic chart but a nice table showing interfering sources by type, Noise Floor, SNR, etc.  You get the info you need.

9-19-2012 10-13-10 PM.jpg

• 7.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 20, 2012 08:57 AM

Thansk marcus for question 1 i read an old topic

This was my mistake sorry i read an old topic which says you cant

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/IAP-105-giving-very-slow-speeds/td-p/13727

but obiously there has been a lot of change since then with the instant AP... my bad i should have read the manual before asking.

Just one last question Marcus

Before asking i have read the manual this time

There is something called user vlan derivition which it would work something like a vlan poolin but well i would need a 802.1x here.

Anyways  let say i cant use this for some reason and i just got the broadcast/multicast drop to fight the BIG network  let say i got 700 users in one network and i will be forced to create a /23 vlan....

Aruba does recommend no more than 200 users per vlan or at least that what it says when i did the ACMP

But then i also read in the forums that it is okay having a bigger networks  if you dropping broadcast....

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Campus-WLAN-and-High-Density-Wi/vlan-pool-or-big-subnet/td-p/38084

How many users woud you recommend in one big network if i just got broadcast/multicast drop to fight with?

I ask you this becasue i wanna be sure and give a good recommendation  when we designing WLANs.  So far i just got the recommendation of no more of 200 users per vlan which i can solve easely with VLan poolin when ihave the controller.

Guess also i could create many small groups of APs and do L3 mobility between them  but i dont know

What would be your recommendation if you have to put instants APS and you got 1000 users?

• 8.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 19, 2012 09:06 PM

I saw the code an hour ago, and have it in lab now.

I've tried enabling background spectrum analysis and I've tried placing the radio in Spectrum mode.

Neither produces the expected spectrun link as described in the UG.

I'm a slow learner!!  Just saw the Spectrum Mode is only available in iAP104,5,34 and 35 ;(

My lab is a set of 93s.

--Matthew

• 9.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 19, 2012 09:09 PM

Really?

mmm well if its on the 105 im okay i got one IAP 105 for labbing...  if it was just for 134 and 135 i would have been screwed , dont have those for labs...

• 10.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Sep 20, 2012 07:14 PM

Wow! PPPoE can be configured on AIP yet there is no firewaling or protection on E0?

• 11.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 02, 2012 08:34 AM

hum upload via webUI doesn't seem to be available as today :(

will wait a little longer :)

• 12.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 03, 2012 12:59 PM

Xinity-

I just checked on one of my IAPs running 6.1.2.1 and it did find 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0 on the cloud server.  Please try it again and let me know if you found it.

• 13.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 04, 2012 04:46 AM

just checked this morning,

as my IAPs are Dell Branded, it seems that i have to wait a little longer :(

i whish i could get it from aruba itself

• 14.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 10, 2012 10:04 PM

@Xinity wrote:

just checked this morning,

as my IAPs are Dell Branded, it seems that i have to wait a little longer :(

i whish i could get it from aruba itself

Xinity-

Dell is currently in process of approval of the 3.1 release.  I don't have an ETA for you; however, it should be available soon.

• 15.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 11, 2012 05:09 AM

thanks for the follow-up marcus.

any plans on Aruba Enterprise software available via DELL ?

Regards,

Xinity

• 16.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 11, 2012 01:10 PM

@Xinity wrote:

thanks for the follow-up marcus.

any plans on Aruba Enterprise software available via DELL ?

Regards,

Xinity

I cannot say for sure; however, generally and historically speaking, the Dell versions receive the same features as the Aruba versions in relatively short order after the Aruba release.

• 17.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Nov 06, 2012 06:42 AM

just got my IAPs updated to the latest firmware :)

waiting to hear about the availability of "Aruba Instant Enterprise" from DELL :)

• 18.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Mar 29, 2013 01:20 AM

Marcus i was wondering hahahha

on the manual it says All APs support an unlimited number of IAPs, however IAP-92 and IAP 93 support up to 16 IAPs only.

1-It is possible to put unlimited number of RAP3s on a cluster?

2-It is not recommended eh? hehe

• 19.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 08, 2012 02:39 AM

Just to mention, IPv6 i still not functional in  6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0_35320 – see https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant/Aruba-Instant-amp-IPv6/m-p/36091.

• 20.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 08, 2012 10:18 AM

16 AP limitation are removed on this IAP release?

• 21.  RE: New Instant AP SW Released - v. 3.1 -- Sept 17th

Posted Oct 08, 2012 10:34 AM

The 16 IAP limit per group was removed with the 3.0 release May '12.

The IAP-9x/93 are still limited to 16 per group and 256 concurrent connections per group.  The rest of the IAPs are unlimited in number of IAPs and 1,024 concurrent clients.  If you mix an IAP-92/93 into a group the entire group will be held down to the IAP-92/93 limits