Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Observing low throughputs

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 03, 2014 11:52 PM

SW Version: 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.2_36584

We have got IAP-134. When I use this for performance tests, I'm seeing very bad numbers.

We are testing with 1x1, in 2Ghz & 20Mhz is the channel bandwidth. We are seeing Tx bandwidth of iAP-134 hovering around ~51 Mbps. Where as already existing Cisco AP1252 is giving 63Mbps consistently.

When we saw the captures, the problem we saw was the aggregation was not happening properly. i.e. we see hardly 4 packets getting aggregated, not more than that. Where as with Cisco AP-1252, we saw around 11-12 packets getting aggregated with same client device.

I'm using the product OOB configuration. Only configuration we have done is channel, created SSID through GUI & configured IP.

Both AP, back-end chariot endpoint & wireless station are in same subnet.

Any help?

• 2.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 04, 2014 12:27 AM
    Have you tried enabling drop multicast/broadcast in the IAP networks settings?

• 3.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 04, 2014 12:51 AM

You might also considder upgrading the SW on your IAPs for your testing to be sure you have the benefit of SW fixes and new features..  The version running is almost 1.5yrs and many many revisions old.  If your AP has internet access the upgrade can be done by going to the Maintenance tab then Firmware then click on the "Check for New version" button.   The version posted to the cloud-based upgrade server is 4.0.0.1 and 4.0.0.4 is available from the TAC support site.

• 4.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 04, 2014 04:38 AM
    Be sure that your antenna connected well to the iap-134 ports.

• 5.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 04, 2014 10:12 PM

I would suggest you to upgrade to 4.0.0.4 build released recently. 

• 6.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 06, 2014 06:01 AM

Hi,

We have upgraded Aruba Access point through cloud (automatic upgrade) & it is now running on 6.3.1.1-4.0.0.1_41049.

Now the througputs are worse than earlier. 

Earlier we were getting Aruba-Tx throughput as 52 Mbps.

Now we are getting getting ~38Mbps. 

When we looked at captures below are the problems we see:

1. Less number of MPDUs in single aggregation. Only Max. 5 packets even though Rx buffer size of station is 16.

2. We observed Aruba AP using 11 & 5.5 Mbps packets just before aggregation.

3. Rate falling back to 65 Mbps & 57.5Mbps from 72Mbps.  We have seen the rate falling back to 65Mbps even when there are no failures in BA.

I'll attach the air capture for your reference.  

• 7.  RE: Observing low throughputs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2014 06:30 AM

Ramprasad,

There is so much that goes into performance testing that you should work with an Aruba professional locally.  There are quite a few things that should be looked at to ensure you get the best performance:  some are on the access point, other things are environmental and last is the client and testing method.  We simply cannot go through all of those in this forum.

• 8.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 06, 2014 10:04 AM

What Aruba antenna model have you installed and what quantity? All three must be connected.  Did you set the antenna gain to match the antenna?

• 9.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 06, 2014 01:26 PM

Hi,

I've connected through RF cables from all antennas to a splitter/combiner then to third party device. And this testing is with in a shielded room with no other interference. 

• 10.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 06, 2014 01:33 PM

And did you properly set the antenna gain taking into account the antenna gain plus losses from the cabling and splitters in between?  The default is 0 dBi which will not yield proper results.

Did you connect three antennas in your test?  This is a 3x3:3 AP and requires all  three for performance.

As these are not Aruba antennas we have no knowledge of how they will perform.   You might considder using Aruba antennas AP-ANT-1B.

I agree with cjoseph that you might seek assistance fom your local Aruba rep as there are too many variables going on to find a quick resolution for you in an on-line forum.

• 11.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 06, 2014 02:09 PM

Yes, I've taken care of all of them. And signal strength at STA is -40dbm.  And packet capture shows that none of these problems. And in the same setup cisco 1252 is connected.

Yes, I've already contacted local aruba support with whom I've support contract. It's taking very long time, thus tried here.I'll wait for support through that channel

• 12.  RE: Observing low throughputs

Posted Mar 04, 2014 01:09 AM

We don't have much broadcast or multicast packets . So I believe this will not help