Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Outdoor point to point

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 02, 2016 04:51 PM
      |   view attached

I have a vendor that has requested the assistance in programming and deploying a solution for 2 point to point links. They are using Aruba as the approved product and have stated they will use four AP-274s, Controller and a switch.

The layout is simple and have not provided what will be on either side of the bridge, so I am assuming it will be a transparent bridge type. I can of course and will reach out to my channel partner for design help, but AirHeads have been very and quick in the past. Here is a quick layout of what is proposed. At the first glance I can see they don't list the antenna they wish to use...

Quaestions I have...

Is the IAP(InstantOS)-274 capable of point to point mesh?

What antenna's would I use for an 800Km link?

Are there example configurations anywhere covering this?

• 2.  RE: Outdoor point to point
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2016 04:59 PM

IAP *CAN* do mesh, but if it's two PtP links, a controller is recommended. However, we cannot support 800km links, that is too far, our max recommended is about 5km max. if it's 800m, then you're fine. The best antennas would be the ANT-4x4-5314 (one per AP-274). Your Aruba partner should have access to Arubapedia where they can download sample config stubs.

• 3.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 02, 2016 05:11 PM

yea 800km is quite the distance. that is a typo, it is 800m per PtP. Thanks, I will reach out to my partner for help on the config. Their original spec was AP-274s not Instants, I was trying to eliminate the need for the controller if it wasn't required. I will send the recommendation for the antenna type. Thanks for the help!

• 4.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 05, 2016 04:45 AM

i have instaled two PtP Connections with AP-274 in Italy at Sept. 2016.

As Antenna we use Huber + Suhner SENCITY® SPOT-L WiFi Antenna
    1355.17.0001. Distance was 250m and 650m.  

Controllertype is A3200 with AOS 6.4.3.7 or higher.

IMAG2374.jpg

BR.

Josef

• 5.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 05, 2016 09:00 AM

Great Josef,

Are those grounding/surge blocks on your antenna cables?

• 6.  RE: Outdoor point to point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2016 09:09 AM

A quick note that may help others, for antennas cables 2m and shorter, you do not need any lightning arrestors installed between the antenna and the AP. The AP-274 itself has enough protection to dissipate any induction or surge on the antenna or cables. Just make sure the AP chassis is grounded properly to shunt charge. And nothing protects and AP or antnena from a direct strike :)

• 7.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 06, 2016 01:42 AM

Yes, we use the following parts from Huber + Suhner:

EMP Protector: 3400.17.0410 betwin AP and Antenna

and Data Line Protector: 3414.99.0008

in the Dataline betwin PoE / Switchport and AP.

The Brackets for lightning protection is a special construction.

• 8.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:23 PM

I will only need 3 x antenna cables as I will only be able to use 3 of the connections on the 4x4 antenna as the 274 is only a 3x3, right?

Also, is a switch needed in the middle there or can I connect the two 274s directly to one another?

• 9.  RE: Outdoor point to point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:26 PM

Correct, just put some kind of weatherproof cap on the antennas' unused 4th connector.

• 10.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:53 PM

Is the switch needed in the middle or could I just connect the 274s together?

• 11.  RE: Outdoor point to point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:56 PM

Are you wiring the two mesh PtP pairs together for some reason? If you have a topology drawing, that might help.

• 12.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 06, 2016 05:07 PM
    I attached an image of a simple topography to the original post. The middle section where I have a switch and curious if it is even needed. I don’t have any devices at that point other than the 2 radios that are just carrying the signal to another bridge.

Advantage Technology
    Ryan Loftus
    System Administrator
    Main :: 304.342.0796

• 13.  RE: Outdoor point to point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2016 05:58 PM
      |   view attached

Sorry, never noticed the image. So yea just a switch, or a 2port power injector hub/switch (or even wired two injectors back to back) will work. For this, a controller will be required for sure.

See attached, but you are essentially going to have to create two separate mesh clusters (one for each PtP), wire them together (at the Cluster 1 point to Cluster 2 portal), and configure cluster 1's mesh point ethernet interface to provide network access to the controller so that Portal in Cluster 2 can reach the controller.

• 14.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 06, 2016 06:05 PM
    Awesome! Thanks for all your help.

Advantage Technology
    Ryan Loftus
    System Administrator
    Main :: 304.342.0796

• 15.  RE: Outdoor point to point

Posted Dec 16, 2016 03:42 PM

I would most likely need the smallest available controller if these were the only APs in this setup correct? I am looking at the 7005 but I noticed in the price list the 7000 series is considered a cloud mobility controller and the 7200 mobility controller. Which should I go with?

• 16.  RE: Outdoor point to point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2016 09:05 PM

The 7005 would certainly work.  It is considered a "Cloud Controller" because it has Cloud Deployment features, but it has all of the features of other controllers and can serve very well to control the mesh you are considering..