Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Outdoor point to point

I have a vendor that has requested the assistance in programming and deploying a solution for 2 point to point links. They are using Aruba as the approved product and have stated they will use four AP-274s, Controller and a switch.

The layout is simple and have not provided what will be on either side of the bridge, so I am assuming it will be a transparent bridge type. I can of course and will reach out to my channel partner for design help, but AirHeads have been very and quick in the past. Here is a quick layout of what is proposed. At the first glance I can see they don't list the antenna they wish to use...

Quaestions I have...

Is the IAP(InstantOS)-274 capable of point to point mesh?

What antenna's would I use for an 800Km link?

Are there example configurations anywhere covering this?

MVP

Re: Outdoor point to point

IAP *CAN* do mesh, but if it's two PtP links, a controller is recommended. However, we cannot support 800km links, that is too far, our max recommended is about 5km max. if it's 800m, then you're fine. The best antennas would be the ANT-4x4-5314 (one per AP-274). Your Aruba partner should have access to Arubapedia where they can download sample config stubs.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer

yea 800km is quite the distance. that is a typo, it is 800m per PtP. Thanks, I will reach out to my partner for help on the config. Their original spec was AP-274s not Instants, I was trying to eliminate the need for the controller if it wasn't required. I will send the recommendation for the antenna type. Thanks for the help!

Occasional Contributor I

i have instaled two PtP Connections with AP-274 in Italy at Sept. 2016.

As Antenna we use Huber + Suhner SENCITY® SPOT-L WiFi Antenna
1355.17.0001. Distance was 250m and 650m.  

Controllertype is A3200 with AOS 6.4.3.7 or higher.

IMAG2374.jpg

BR.

Josef

Great Josef,

Are those grounding/surge blocks on your antenna cables?

MVP

A quick note that may help others, for antennas cables 2m and shorter, you do not need any lightning arrestors installed between the antenna and the AP. The AP-274 itself has enough protection to dissipate any induction or surge on the antenna or cables. Just make sure the AP chassis is grounded properly to shunt charge. And nothing protects and AP or antnena from a direct strike :)

Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

Yes, we use the following parts from Huber + Suhner:

EMP Protector: 3400.17.0410 betwin AP and Antenna

and Data Line Protector: 3414.99.0008

in the Dataline betwin PoE / Switchport and AP.

The Brackets for lightning protection is a special construction.

I will only need 3 x antenna cables as I will only be able to use 3 of the connections on the 4x4 antenna as the 274 is only a 3x3, right?

Also, is a switch needed in the middle there or can I connect the two 274s directly to one another?

MVP

Correct, just put some kind of weatherproof cap on the antennas' unused 4th connector.

Jerrod Howard

Is the switch needed in the middle or could I just connect the 274s together?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: