Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Ping and discover wireless clients.

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Ping and discover wireless clients.

Posted Dec 05, 2012 06:18 PM

Hi,

I have installed two Iap-105's in one of our branch offices, they seem to work well.

The one thing I dont understand is that I cannot ping any of the wireless clients from the wired network.

I have used GFI Languard for quite a while to see who is on the network from at any given time. It cannot see any of the wireless clients either.

I am not pinging by name I am using the IP address that I see the AP has assigned each client.

Of course it is on a different subnet eg .

Office subnet would be 192.168.3.xxx/24 and WIreless clients are given adresses by AP's DHCP server like 192.168.15.xxx/24.

Should I be able to ping them or not?

Is there a way to discover them on the network with some type of network managment tools?

Any thoughts appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Ping and discover wireless clients.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2012 08:03 PM

If the wireless networks for those clients on IAP are "Virtual controller Assigned", they are in a subnet that is natted and behind the IAP, and you should not be able to ping them.  If the wireless network is "Network Assigned" you should be able to ping.

• 3.  RE: Ping and discover wireless clients.

Posted Dec 05, 2012 09:36 PM

Hi,

Thanks, Yes they are VIrtual controller assigned.

I understand now.

Is there a way to enable remote access software to connect in this configuration.

I.e., I use Microsoft Remote Assitant to help users with problems.

I cannot seem to do this with the VIrtuall Controller assigned addresses.

I did not want to use network assigned addresses because we have a limited amount of addresses available for DHCP on our LAN subnet.

Regards

Mario

• 4.  RE: Ping and discover wireless clients.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2012 09:37 PM
    Do you have firewall policies attached to that user?

• 5.  RE: Ping and discover wireless clients.

Posted Dec 06, 2012 03:50 PM

If you mean the Firewall incorporated in the device then no there are no rules created for the user.

• 6.  RE: Ping and discover wireless clients.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2012 11:45 PM

Please open a support case.