Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with converting a IAP-365 to a RAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Problem with converting a IAP-365 to a RAP

Posted Feb 28, 2018 02:52 PM
      |   view attached

Dear Community,

I have a really strange problem. At a customers site is a IAP-365 installed which shall be converted to a RAP. Other IAPs of different types (IAP-207 and IAP-103) converted without any problems.

When I start conversion via "maintenance >> convert" menu I'll get a nonsense error message. (attached screenshot)

What I've already checked:

The AP can ping the desired controller address which includes a correct routing and successful DNS resolution. Also any other destinations (i.e. device.arubanetworks.com, google.de, etc.) are reachable.

There are no firewall rules in place which might prevent communication.

I did an upgrade to latest 6.5.4.5 and - after no change in behavior - a downgrade to 6.5.4.0.

I did also an "swarm-mode Standalone" to prevent joining this IAP to another IAP-VC in the same network.

When I observe the traffic at the customers firewall I see all the DNS- and ICMP- packets but NOT any UDP/4500 packets which should be seen during the VPN setup.

Also when I start the conversion at the CLI via "convert-aos-ap ..." absolutly nothing happens.

I also tried to initiate the convert via Aruba Activate but the IAP has no cloud activation key. A "show activate" shows serial, MAC and all the other information but no cloud key.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks

Timo

• 2.  RE: Problem with converting a IAP-365 to a RAP

Posted Mar 05, 2018 03:59 PM

Can you share the controller image version and following log from IAP after conversion has failed:

show log convert

Also if you default the IAP-365, it will have the unified code controller discovery process and should find the controller that way!

• 3.  RE: Problem with converting a IAP-365 to a RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2018 02:43 PM

I'm having the Same issue with IAP205.

Testing it on MM and MC architecture AOS8.2.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

• 4.  RE: Problem with converting a IAP-365 to a RAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 11, 2018 05:49 AM

@a_harkati are these Virtual Appliances?

• 5.  RE: Problem with converting a IAP-365 to a RAP

Posted Mar 11, 2018 01:04 PM

After a lot of troubelshooting together with remote support by HPE we figured out, that the problem was caused by a defective TPM on the IAP itself. In fact the IAP couldn't authenticate against the Activate Portal (device.arubanetworks.com) nor as a RAP against the mobility controller.

Finally the IAP-365 will be replaced as an RMA.

Try to check output of "show ap debug | inc awc" and "show log provision".

Timo