Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 02:58 PM

I have a brand new RAP-3WN-US I plugged up. I've followed everything as described in all of the user guides, yet I cannot seem to get it working. It is setup as an IAP from what I understand which is fine, but I am never able to see the SSID called "instant". I left it plugged in for over an hour so I know I wasn't cutting it short on letting it boot up all the way. I've tried connecting to the network through the E0 interface as well. I also tried resetting it a few times to no avail. The WLAN light just stays amber. Any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 03:18 PM

Do you have other IAPs on the network?

If yes, are they also -US versions and what version of SW is running on them?

The WLAN light will be amber if a -US is trying to connect to another IAP with a different country code.  Also, if there is an active IAP with an older version of code than 3.1 the same problem will happen (RAP-3 requires 3.1 or above).

• 3.  RE: RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 03:47 PM

You will likely need to connect the e0 port to an Internet accessible port in order for the SSID "instant" to show up.

• 4.  RE: RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 04:24 PM

Okay after hooking it up to my home network it seems to have booted just fine. Is there something on my firewall at work that could possibly be blocking the AP from connecting out? Does it use any special ports?

Also We have one other IAP that is up and running, but i would have to go in and see what verison it is on.

• 5.  RE: RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 04:28 PM

You do not need a link to the internet.  You just need an active link.

If you have an existing IAP that is up and running it is what we call the "Virtual Controller" (VC).  The VC owns the IAP network.  Any IAP you connect to the network in the same vlan as an active VC will get a copy of the config from the VC.  As such, the new IAP will never advertise the "Instant" SSID.  Your issue likely stems from the fact that the active VC is running an older version of code.  The VC manages the version of SW across all members of the group and will even downgrade code on new members so they match the version running on the VC.   v. 6.1.3.4_3.1.x.x is required for the RAP-3.  If your active VC has an older version then your RAP-3 will not boot correctly.

Having said that, having connectivity to the internet makes doing SW upgrades easy as we host SW upgrades in the "Cloud" and all you have to do is hit the "Check for SW Upgrade" button in the WebUI under Maintenance.

• 6.  RE: RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 04:44 PM

Yeah i just ran the update on the RAP-3 and it seems to have gone through just fine. My next feat of glory will be getting my Sprint 3G card going. Is there a list of supported usb modems? I don't want to spend a ton of time trying to get it to work if the one i have isn't supported :-)

Thanks again for your help

• 7.  RE: RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 05:10 PM

There is a list of the supported 3G modems in the Instant 3.1 Users Guide.

On a side-note the only 4G card supported in the current release is the Verizon UML 290.  We may be adding one or two additional modems in the 3.2 release due by end of December.

• 8.  RE: RAP-3WN-US Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly

Posted Nov 16, 2012 06:59 PM
    I have the Sierra 250U on sprint, which appears to be a plug and play card. Of course it isn't working for me :-)