Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP155 keeps rebooting

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 03:15 AM

Hi all,

I am a novice home user who purchased an RAP155. I think it is broken but I am not sure.

If I leave it unplugged for an hour or so and boot it, everything is fine. Until...

If I need to reboot it for any reason, it winds up in a reboot loop that looks like this:

• ethernet port flashes as expected
    • power/main led flashes
    • power/main led eventually turns solid
    • all LEDs go dark
    • power/main led turns back on briefly
    • all four ethernet LEDs flash and the cycle restarts

this continues endlessly forever

If I unplug it and leave it for an hour, then

1. reset cable modem and plug it in to 155
    2. plug power into 155

Then *most* of the time it will boot up as expected.

Do I have a defective unit or is something going on that I don't understand? Any ideas?

Note: I'm on Mac OS X and no I don't have a breakout cable.

• 2.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 03:21 AM

Could it be this error someone else experienced too?

• 3.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 06:37 AM

Hi

Let's start from the end,

• the A200 :) it's an old controller. you got a brand new RAP155 unit :) **Let's not compare at all**
    • Now,can u please connect a console cable to this RAP155 unit , while it's booting/working fine | while it's booting and not working fine (the led issue ..eth ports issue)
    • did u checked your ac adapter is fine?

• 4.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 12:14 PM

Hi, thanks for the response and clarification that this has nothing to do with the A200.

Regarding a console cable, I can go get one at Fry's if anyone can tell me what to get that would work with my Mac or point me to how to do this. Or if there's the suspicion my unit is bad, I can just return it and not waste any time.

As for the power adapter I'm not sure what would make it fine or not fine. It works enough for the unit to start up and run once, but again, if i reboot it it won't come back until after many hours of off state. I agree though that this does seem like a faulty component issue and not a software issue (e.g., overheating) since that is something that could be time-dependent.

• 5.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 02:11 PM

If u want us to know if this multifunction unit..a CLI output ..when the unit is booting non-stop..without working will be great and help us to give u the reason.

When u have console cable - u should use an COM client to connect to the the AP.. (Putty/SecureCRT/Terminal)

After the console cable connected to your laptop & the ap itself,just reboot the AP.

Than copy&paste the boot process when it's working & when it's not working.

• 6.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 02:20 PM

@kdisc98 wrote:

If u want us to know if this multifunction unit..a CLI output ..when the unit is booting non-stop..without working will be great and help us to give u the reason.

When u have console cable - u should use an COM client to connect to the the AP.. (Putty/SecureCRT/Terminal)

After the console cable connected to your laptop & the ap itself,just reboot the AP.

Ok, it seems like I will need to get a console cable before we can proceed. I will try to find or make one this weekend. Thanks.

• 7.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 04:04 PM

@kdisc98 wrote:

kdic98: Can I use a standard ethernet cable with the 155, or do I need something special plugged into the bottom in the port beneath the rubber feet?

• 8.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Feb 10, 2014 04:23 PM

Hi, 

There is special cable for RAPs available from Aruba. 

Many regards, 

MK

• 9.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 07:39 AM

Is your ISP doing MAC binding ?

• 10.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 11, 2014 01:58 PM

@Constantin wrote:

Is your ISP doing MAC binding ?

Hi Constantin,

They are, but I have been power cycling (incl 20 second off time) every time i run this test, so i am certain that is not the issue.

This is a real bummer...I would rather not return the 155. Thanks for everyone's help!

• 11.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Jan 12, 2014 07:40 AM

@303 wrote:
    Hi Constantin,

They are, but I have been power cycling (incl 20 second off time) every time i run this test, so i am certain that is not the issue.

This is a real bummer...I would rather not return the 155. Thanks for everyone's help!

I would recommend then on the SSID to check the box for "Can be used without uplink" - on the WLAN Settings TAB of the SSID. This will confirm if it's because of the mac reservation or not. (FYI it was doing the same thing for me on a iAP105 until I did that and gave more time for trouble shoot the ISP connection)

• 12.  RE: RAP155 keeps rebooting

Posted Feb 10, 2014 12:58 PM

How are you able to access the Aruba control panel to adjust this parameter if it keeps rebooting?