Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Rap with iap

Posted Apr 03, 2014 06:14 PM
    Hello, I would like to know if is possible to have a RAP with iap (no controler)?

• 2.  RE: Rap with iap

Posted Apr 03, 2014 06:52 PM
    not possible you need a controller for the RAP . what devices do you have ?

• 3.  RE: Rap with iap

Posted Apr 04, 2014 08:21 AM

My client have 5 IAP.

I don't want sell a controler for only a RAP, this is why I ask if I can use a RAP.

• 4.  RE: Rap with iap

Posted Apr 04, 2014 06:09 PM

Sorry for the confusion; Is the question whether you can terminate a RAP against an IAP cluster?   If that is the question, the answer is no.  That is one advantage of a controller based solution (support for Remote Access Points).  

BTW, if that is the case vfabian was correct in the 1st reply; I misunderstood your question.

• 5.  RE: Rap with iap
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2014 12:16 AM

The answer is "it depends".   

If you buy any currently available RAP product (RAP-3, RAP-108/9, RAP-155), they all come with the Instant OS on them.   You can then configure them in what is known as RAP-NG or IAP-VPN.   In essense, the IAP has the capability to create a VPN back to a controller and provide "Remote AP' functionality......with the added benefits of what IAPs can offer.

Older RAP models (RAP-2, RAP-5) do not have this capability as they do not ship (nor support) Instant OS.

#RAP155

• 6.  RE: Rap with iap

Posted Mar 21, 2017 11:16 AM

@clembo wrote:

The answer is "it depends".   

If you buy any currently available RAP product (RAP-3, RAP-108/9, RAP-155), they all come with the Instant OS on them.   You can then configure them in what is known as RAP-NG or IAP-VPN.   In essense, the IAP has the capability to create a VPN back to a controller and provide "Remote AP' functionality......with the added benefits of what IAPs can offer.

Older RAP models (RAP-2, RAP-5) do not have this capability as they do not ship (nor support) Instant OS.

@@clembo

Coming back to this old thread if that's ok...

What MC licenses would I need to do this ?

I want PEFV.. but a basic BoM build of licenses required to do this would be helpful.  Thanks.  I.e. I don't need AP licenses right ? Regardless of how many APs I backhaul IPSEC termination's to this controller ?