Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Recommendation of Use of WiFi Range Extenders

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Recommendation of Use of WiFi Range Extenders

Posted Sep 21, 2015 11:50 AM

We have an instant network using IAP-225's.  One of our teachers suggested rather than having a building wired for wireless that we use twice a year, just purchase some inexpensive Range Extenders and use them.   Here is what he sent me:  

This one looks like the one I got for my step-dad.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N300-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B004YAYM06

Will it work for the Aruba equipment and what are the upside and downsides of using these?

Thanks!

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Recommendation of Use of WiFi Range Extenders

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2015 11:51 AM
    You should not use range extenders in an enterprise environment.

You would add another AP and mesh it.

• 3.  RE: Recommendation of Use of WiFi Range Extenders
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2015 12:23 PM

One of the reasons you don't want to use extenders (especially that one listed there) is that it would be using the same radio to both talk back to the host network AND talk to the clients. So it effectively cuts in more than half the lowest available connection AND more the doubles the latency between the client and the network. It gets much much worse as more and more clients get on that extender to talk back to the network.

Using APs with mesh means you are using the 5Ghz radios as a 'virtual network cable' back to the enterprise network while allowing the 2.4Ghz radios to just handle clients and not have to do backhaul duty as well. This DOES mean you are now using the 5Ghz radio to backhaul the 2.4Ghz clients, so if your plan is to use the 2.4and 5GHz radios for clients AND use the 5Ghz radio with mesh as the backhaul, your mesh link becomes the limiting factor, but even that is far far superior than a 2.4Ghz repeater.

• 4.  RE: Recommendation of Use of WiFi Range Extenders

Posted Sep 21, 2015 01:17 PM

Our Assistant Head of School wants a low cost solutions to extend wi-if range for temporary use.  New APs isn't really feasible financially.  Is there another option he is asking? 

• 5.  RE: Recommendation of Use of WiFi Range Extenders

Posted Sep 23, 2015 08:59 AM
    Do it right or not at all. With range extenders you lose throughput, security, centralized management. Get some new AP's.

• 6.  RE: Recommendation of Use of WiFi Range Extenders

Posted Sep 23, 2015 09:11 AM

Possibly you can look into a refurbished IAP105 unit.  I've seen these for sale at various locations for low cost.  Just a thought.