Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Recommended client count on IAP225's

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Recommended client count on IAP225's

Posted Jan 15, 2014 01:51 PM

I know best practices for the IAP105 is 30 users per radio, or 60 total. Even so, we've had a few customers that have loaded the 105's up to 100 users with no issues.

I've been wondering what the recommended client count for IAP225's is. What would be a safe number to state to customers? I'm thinking of an auditorium room or a high density room where 200-300 clients may try to associate at once. 

• 2.  RE: Recommended client count on IAP225's

Posted Jan 15, 2014 06:33 PM

The IAP225 should be able to handle between 200-250 clients but of course you have look at the type of client associated , the expected throughtput and your RF environment

• 3.  RE: Recommended client count on IAP225's

Posted Jan 15, 2014 08:21 PM

Just have the customer keep in mind every 'lines up' for access to the Channel (CSMA).   

I usually boil this down to the analogy of line-ups at Starbucks or Tim Hortons (Canadian, eh?)

Mr. Customer would you like to have 199 people infront of you when you arrive at the coffee shop and only one cashier?    Or would it be better to have multiple line ups to work through the same crowd much faster? (parallel).

Answer:   Of course not ;-)  I want short lines, lots of them.  I want to be in and out.   

Aha, excellent... so lets stay away from loading up APs with 'line ups' of 200 devices too ... even though the (Aruba) network 'can' handle it?   Your users will be happier with several, shorter and faster lines.  Everytime.

JF