Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

Posted Sep 04, 2016 01:18 PM

In my lab, it takes about 15 minutes for an IAP225 to fail connecting to the VC and then attempt to mesh. It eventually meshes just fine but it takes forever. I've searched but I can't find a CLI command to reduce the time the IAP decides it isn't cabled to the network and try to mesh.

Do you know the command? Is it possible?

• 2.  RE: Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2016 01:30 PM

Do you have any of the ethernet interfaces up?

• 3.  RE: Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

Posted Sep 05, 2016 10:36 AM

The portal uplink is Bridging Disabled. The point uplink is Bridging Enabled. The bridge is working fine. While watching the point come up, I get to the 

<<<<<       Welcome to the Access Point     >>>>>

message at about 132. Around 790 or so, it sees that it is not connecting to Interenet and then reboots, using WiFi as the uplink. 

The point is connected to a switch that is not connected to the main network. I would love to be able to adjust how long the AP takes before rebooting and faulting over to the WiFi uplink.

Below is my diagram.

aruba bridge.jpg

• 4.  RE: Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2016 11:43 AM

Is something handing out DHCP on the IAP mesh point's network? Is the mesh point getting an IP address on the wire when coming up?

• 5.  RE: Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

Posted Sep 05, 2016 12:07 PM
    Spoiler
    Yes, 10.0.0.1 is the DHCP server. The two APs are static.

At about [54.00000] I get 
    Got all network params from APboot env. Skipping DHCP
    Static IP detected. Checking if LACP needs to be configured

• 6.  RE: Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

Posted Sep 06, 2016 08:51 PM
      |   view attached

If it helps, I've attached a PDF of everything I've done in my test lab.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Instant.pdf   973 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Reduce the time an IAP waits before failing to mesh point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2016 11:59 PM

WiFi Uplink is not supported on any 11ac IAP currently (unless it was added VERY VERY recently). Are you creating the 'Bridge1' SSID for the mesh point to use? I think this config is causing some delays in the mesh coming up (likely), and you would need to default everything and JUST setup the basics. Stand up the two APs in the same cluster, disable the Extended SSID, make sure the cluster is formed, and then disconnect the mesh point and move it to the remote switch. If everything is in VLAN 1, there's no need to set the bridged interface to trunk either.

If the switch the mesh point is connected to is handing out DHCP, then the mesh point would never come up or could take a VERY long time to come up. Once you have a simple config (one client SSIDs, extended disablted), let it come up, then look to enable the ethernet bridge. Change one thing at a time so you know what broke. There's dozens of links here on setting up the mesh for IAP, just do the bare minimum first.