Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming across different WAPs???

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 11, 2014 04:41 PM

We just purchased 2 IAP225's for our main office that we get the most visitors needing access to WiFi.

However we have Netgear WNDAP350's in our manufacturing facility and our parient company has Cysco APs.

I notice even if I have the IAP225's setup with the same SSID same encription and same passphrase the clients don't want to connect when they roam.   

• 2.  RE: Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 11, 2014 05:27 PM
    they will not roam because the other APS do not have any information on the users. you're using different vendors here and what you are trying to achieve is not possible

• 3.  RE: Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 12, 2014 09:06 AM

Hi Pmonardo

I apologize I was not more specific on what I ment by roaming. I wasn't meaning roaming as in 802.11r. I'm just not sure why when the WiFi profile in my PC is set up with the same SSID, Passphrase, and Encription type and set to auto connect why it doesn't auto connect when it transferes from one WAP maker to another. The WAP's are more than a quartermile apart so I don't expect the clients to stay connected and roam as expected with 802.11r. But if the profile is configured in the client and a WAP is brodcasting the settings that match that profile shouldn't it connect and not matter what make the WAP is?

Thank you for your assistance and input.  

• 4.  RE: Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 12, 2014 11:45 AM

Do you have the AP the client can connect to locked down in the client utility?  For example, here is the Intel ProSet utility.......

mandatory_AP.jpg

• 5.  RE: Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 12, 2014 02:21 PM

Hi Marcus

Thank you for the reply no I have seen that setting I know it's not configured like that on my machine and most of our clients systems have Windows managing the WiFi profiles and I've never seen a setting like that in Win7. 

Also it will connect to the profile but you have to manually select it and tell it to connect. I'm just confused as to why this would be if it's configured to auto connect when the SSID is in range and no other SSID is available.

• 6.  RE: Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 12, 2014 02:23 PM

Have you tried updating the WiFi cards drivers?  Also, what version are you running on the IAP?  v.4.1.0.1 is the most current.

• 7.  RE: Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 12, 2014 03:43 PM

Hi Marcus

Confirmed both the WiFi cards and the IAP have been updated to the latest firmware / drivers.

In fact the Toshiba Tecra M11 with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN wireless card driver had to be updated before it would connect to the Aruba IAP225. But this problem is happening with Android phones Laptops both Toshiba and IBM. It seems like once the device has been associated with the Aruba IAP it saves something that is specific with that connection only.

• 8.  RE: Roaming across different WAPs???

Posted Aug 14, 2014 09:08 AM

Update!!!

One of my coworkers with a I Phone had our network settings configured in his phone but it didn’t want to connect to the Aruba IAP.  Just as a test I turned off the SSID on the Aruba that was broadcasting at 2.4Ghz and turned on the same settings on a Netgear WAP and his phone connected with no problem.

What is it about the Aruba access points that have issues associating with some WiFi devices.