Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID low signal

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  SSID low signal

Posted May 31, 2018 09:08 AM

Hello all,

I have the IAP 205's that are working great. Once thing I've noticed is some of my devices show a much lower signal strength of certain SSIDs. These devices tend to fall of the network. In the picture below DomPkg_Warehouse is coming from the same AP that DomPack  and DomPkg Guest are. Why would that particular SSID be so much lower?

I'm heading out to the plant floor to try another device to see if the issue is really the signal or the device itself. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

untitled.png

• 2.  RE: SSID low signal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2018 09:16 AM

You should use an independent device to detect signal strength like the Aruba Utilities app in the android store.  There is no telling from that diagram which access point (bss) the device is indicating has low signal strength.

• 3.  RE: SSID low signal

Posted May 31, 2018 09:27 AM

I installed the app, connected my phone to the Wi-Fi and i'm reading -63dBm.

• 4.  RE: SSID low signal

Posted May 31, 2018 10:09 AM

Its normal that different devices display different signal strength, but there is a limit to whats normal. If its too low, please check the driver on the client.

Im not a fan of signal bars or %. It could mean nothing. I like to know dBm values.

Just try to see what signal strength you have on multiple devices and compare the outcome.