Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Set External IP for Virtual Controller

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Set External IP for Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 04, 2015 12:11 PM

I have a customer that has opened the port 443 for Airwave to connect to a virtual controller on the other side of their firewall, but they have changed the outgoing/external IP address for that virtual controller to use.  They added a new one but did not take down the public external IP address.   

How can I tell Airwave to use the new IP address for this VC, or at least confirm that it is using it?   

• 2.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2015 12:47 PM

In the IAP architecture to Airwave, the VC IP doesn't really matter as the 443 session is initiated FROM the VC and Airwave doesn't poll like it would do with a controller in a campus.

• 3.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 04, 2015 02:07 PM

We have been experiencing problems with updates made in Airwave not getting sent down to the VC and the techs have specifically stated that we need to have port 443 opened in the firewalls.    Am I looking at the wrong thing?

• 4.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2015 04:51 PM

The way the IAPs work with Airwave is that nothing is "pushed" from Airwave.  Any changes are made after the IAP checks in with Airwave which happens every minute.  But yes port 443 absolutely needs to be opened from the remote site to Airwave but that is really all that is needed.  If the IAPs are all showing UP in Airwave, the config changes should take effect after 1-2 minutes.

• 5.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 05, 2015 08:17 AM

Okay.  Thanks.  

Also, is there anyway to tell the external IP of the VC from Airwave?

• 6.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2015 08:22 AM
    The external ip the iap retrieved from DHCP will show up in the AP/Devices table

• 7.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 05, 2015 09:19 AM

I am only seeing the internal IP in that table.   

Also, since turning Airwave back into Manage Mode (Enable Instant GUI Config: Yes) yesterday, this morning all of the iAPs are listed as Configuration: Mismatched.   I haven't made an configuration changes since them and I "fetched" the most recent template from the VC before going to Manage Mode.   

Right off, it appears that four of the access points show their names as the MAC addresses now, when the cluster is selected on the left, verses the names I changed them to when viewing them in the group.  

I believe that the customer did open the port 443 but suspect that the VC is still talking to AirWave via the other public IP instead of the new one the customer setup as the external IP for the VC that has port 443 opened for it.

How can I clear up these "Mismatched" configurations?  Drop back to Monitor Mode and try fetching the template again?  Thoughts?

• 8.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 06, 2015 08:23 AM

This morning, Airwave is listting all the APs with Good configurations now, instead of the Mismatched from yesterday.  I did not make any changes.

But those four APs that were showing their MAC addresses as their names are still showing that when I click on the cluster, but showing the names I gave them when installed when I click on the group.   

I'm not sure what's going on.

• 9.  RE: Set External IP for Virtual Controller

Posted Aug 19, 2015 08:51 AM

Got to thinking that this might be a licence issue.  In Airwave, Approved Devices is listed as 136.  I was showing a total of 140 APs up.   And still 4 APs shown as mismatched for our client.  I took one of our test APs offline, which dropped the amount up to 138 (1 physical AP and 1 virtually AP went down when the test AP went offline).   

Today, I received a license for 200 devices.   I installed that licence successfully but the Approved Devices is staying at 136.   Checked our client's group and now showing 3 APs as mismatched.  

How do I increase the Approved Devices from 136 to 200?  I was thinking the license would have done that.