Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting Master using IAP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Setting Master using IAP

Posted Oct 02, 2013 05:17 PM

I have ten AP-105's and one AP-135 on my network.  Everything works fine using the virtual controller, but my question is this... I understand that if my 135 is acting as the master hosting the VC and it goes down, it will transfer the VC to another 105 and one of them will become the master.  But when the 135 is rebooted it does not assume the role of master.  Is there a way to specify which device is the preferred master?  If I reboot ALL the APs at once, the 135 will be the master simply because it boots up fastest.  But I would rather not reboot everything if the situation presents itself.

#AP135

• 2.  RE: Setting Master using IAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2013 05:42 PM

As of today there is no way to set priority for the master AP.  It is based on some factors but uptime is I believe #1

• 3.  RE: Setting Master using IAP

Posted Oct 02, 2013 06:31 PM

I prefer my iAP 9x not take master roles due to memory constraints (mostly imagined) but otherwise I don't know why it would matter in a 105/135 network.

Why pray-tell are you trying to force the 135?

• 4.  RE: Setting Master using IAP

Posted Oct 03, 2013 09:02 AM

Simply peace of mind.  And to kinda keep track of what's what.  Just thought it would be a nice feature if available.  Little more control. :smileyhappy:

• 5.  RE: Setting Master using IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2013 09:11 PM

There is election priorty baked into the IAP-135 in a mixed environment, It will, by default elect itself as master over less capable IAP's.