Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Setting up a set of IAP-175s - External Portal API docs?

Hey all,

So I am setting up an outdoor network using IAP-175s (for-fee WiFi), and I'm trying to wrap my head around the API side of the IAPs. What I want to do is have my own custom external captive portal out on the web which basically does the following. Note, I am very savy when it comes to building complicated websites, using web services, etc. so please pour on the implementation details! 

• Display a portal page that ideally would have different content based on which AP they connected to specifically
  • Allow the user to either create an account, use a coupon code to be granted access, or login with an existing account
  • If necessary, perform a credit card transaction against their account
  • Grant access for a set amount of time

As I am starting to understand, the IAP will redirect a pre-auth user (which just as an IP, DNS, and access to a specific IP address) to my external portal. From there I can take their information, do whatever, etc. to determine they are now "authenticated". My questions are as follows:

1. How do I tell the IAP once I've done whatever I needed to do (which could be making your way through a few pages on the portal side) that the user can now use the Internet freely? I know there is this "Authentication Text" idea, do I basically just put something like an HTML comment with the auth text to say we're all good? Is there another API-based way?
  2. How do I turn OFF access from the external portal for a given user after a set amount of time? Can I connect from an external entity to the IAP in question that granted access (or perhaps all of the IAPs in sequence?) and de-authenticate the user once X amount of time has passed? 

Reading around here it seems like there is some sort of XML based API (that might also just work over HTTPs using GET/POST vars?), but the scarce documentation I've found seems to be for Controller based networks and not the IAPs, or IAPs that aren't the 175. 

Direction and Documentation greatly appreciated!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: